Early impression for Boeing WS-110A proposal

Looking for an old AWST article to scan, I found another photocopy I took some times ago in which are depicted, w/o additional information, a couple of models of what seem a single Boeing-Wichita design. One is a tunnel model, the other one is a 1:10 model used for live drop tests. Could be: 1) a light-bomber/fighter-bomber/strike aircraft, either land or ship-based; b) a VTOL tactical aircraft (I seem to divine vertical jet inlets in the central fuselage. Anyone has some more clues ? Date is circa 1960 (could be little earlier).
Thanx in advance

Attachments

• Boeing project.gif
    Boeing project.gif
    566.5 KB · Views: 1,241
Was Boeing by chance involved with BAC on the TSR.2? The shape of the model looks quite a bit like a TSR.2

Hesham, I have the exact same pictures under "Model 721". Which is correct?

Valkyrie by Jenkins & Landis:

Page 22; with that pictures.

During March 1956 Boeing began investigating the Model 724-13, and this is the model that is usually -incorrectly- shown as the Boeing entry in the competition

The floating tips were numbered Model 724-1001

My dear Skybolt,

your picture looks like the picture from Flightglobal for
Boeing WS-110A bomber in wind tunnel.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1958/1958%20-%200042.pdf

Attachments

• Boeing WS-110.JPG
    Boeing WS-110.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 148
As my dear Stargazer told us;

Model 713 --- WS-110A program (probably plain WS-110 in fact)

May be this aircraft in the beginning of that topic,was the Boeing Model 713.

Attachments

• Boeing WS-110A.JPG
    Boeing WS-110A.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 107
hesham said:
Hi,

also early Boeing design,the Model-724.

http://www.xb70.free.fr/mono/Texte/avant-projet/avant-projet.htm

That link doesn't work for me, but this one does:

http://www.xb70.free.fr/mono/Texte/avant-projet/avant-projet.php

Question...are those jettisonable, disposable fuel tanks that take some of the wing with them, recoverable winged fuel tanks (if so, recoverable where and by whom) or...?

Hi,

I think it was Boeing Model-721,which was submitted to WS-302A to compete
the Martin XB-68,Model-721 was derivative of Model-712,and for Model-712
configuration,it was a slim high-wing design with tapered swept wing and
all-moving tail,used two Wright J67-W-1 engines mounted in nacelles that
were placed adjacent to the rear fuselage and the middle fuselage was area
ruled to accommodate this feature as in Mr. Tony Butler's book; American
Secret Projects: Fighters and Interceptors.

Attachments

• Boeing WS-110A.JPG
    Boeing WS-110A.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 119
When the Boeing 724 model was unveiled at a contractor presentation, SAC commander General Curtis LeMay famously said something like, "This isn't an airplane, it's a three-ship formation!" Does anybody know the exact wording of the quote and possibly a source? I remember reading this in a book, but cannot remember which one ... Thank you.

Attached is the model in question, now in storage at the Boeing archive in Seattle.

Attachments

• Boeing Model 724-15:WS-110A.jpg
    Boeing Model 724-15:WS-110A.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 240
circle-5 said:
When the Boeing 724 model was unveiled at a contractor presentation, SAC commander General Curtis LeMay famously said something like, "This isn't an airplane, it's a three-ship formation!" Does anybody know the exact wording of the quote and possibly a source? I remember reading this in a book, but cannot remember which one ... Thank you.

Attached is the model in question, now in storage at the Boeing archive in Seattle.

Pretty sure its in Landis and Jenkins' Valkyrie book, but I'm away from my books at present.

In my Valkyrie books the exact Gen. Lemay quote is: "Back to the drawing boards. This isn't an airplane, it's a three-ship formation." -SP

Cool plane (planes?). It would be interesting to rummage through the 1950s for the then-impractical ideas that could be made to work today.

Steve Pace said:
In my Valkyrie books the exact Gen. Lemay quote is: "Back to the drawing boards. This isn't an airplane, it's a three-ship formation." -SP

Thank you Steve, for the answer to my question!

Attachments

• Configuration 724-16 model was part of Boeing’s 1957 submission for the Mach 3, long-range, su...jpg
    Configuration 724-16 model was part of Boeing’s 1957 submission for the Mach 3, long-range, su...jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
Was it meant to take-off in this configuration?

Last edited by a moderator: