Ducted spinners: have any succeeded?

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
This discussion started on the "Spitfire Variants" thread when the prospect of jet-powered Spitfires came up.
Sorry to disappoint readers, but no jet-powered Spitfires were ever built.
But there was a proposed ducted-fan version of a Spitfire.
Then discussion wandered over to the first Focke-Wulf 190 prototype which ducted cooling air - to its radial engine - through a hollow spinner. Since the prototype FW-190 suffered cooling problems, it was soon converted to a conventional NACA cowling with a conventional parabolic spinner.
Numerous other prototypes have been built with ducted spinners, but I cannot remember any entering production. ?????

What is the function of the small hole in the C-130 Hercules spinner?

Last edited:
The FW-190 didn't have a conventional NACA cowling, the main cooling outlet was not circumferential but with two large openings on the sides. Also it had a small circumferential slit for the ring shaped oil cooler which was adjustable in longitude direction and it had of course a section to guide the air into the fan. Furthermore, it didn’t have adjustable cooling flaps.

The only thing it had in common with a NACA cowling was, that it was a cowling, everything else differs.

Many electrically powered, small UAS use spinners that provide cooling air to the motors. Does this qualify as entering production?

Also, maybe this needs to be in the Design sub forum..?

I guess with fixed pitch propellers such spinners/hubs can be more effective, do these UAS have a variable pitch?

I guess with fixed pitch propellers such spinners/hubs can be more effective, do these UAS have a variable pitch?
No - fixed pitch. Obviously, there's a nicely radiused hole in the nose and then moulded inside are vanes that work as a centrifugal fan. Holes in the motor mounting face then allow this air flow to cool the motor. Also these won't work without some sort of hot air exhaust ...but that's another topic ;) Example picture attached

Attachments

• SpinnerAM38.jpg
    SpinnerAM38.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 24