Dream Chaser for CEV requirement

I do not want anything like what happened to Columbia to happen again, let's see how good the heat resistant tiles are if Dreamchaser gets launched next year.
They are no different than the shuttle's, just maybe less use of RCC

No real business case for it.

Sad, but true. Even if Starliner is a total failure, Crew Dragon is clearly capable to doing the job for however long we still have the ISS.

The Dream Chaser CEV and Shooting Star module have arrived at the Neil Armstrong Test facility in Ohio for testing by NASA, from TheSpaceBucket:

Dream Chaser is a spaceplane with future plans to carry cargo and eventually crew to low Earth orbit destinations. After decades of development and testing, the vehicle is only a few months away from its first flight. However, when it does lift off, inside the fairings of the Vulcan rocket will be another spacecraft attached to the back of Dream Chaser.
Named Shooting Star, this extra module in addition to Tenacity, is fully complete and currently undergoing its final testing in preparation for launch. On an actual mission, it will provide Dream Chaser with power, a significant increase in payload capacity, and even disposal services at the end of the mission. Here I will go more in-depth into this module’s progress, why it’s so important, what the first Dream Chaser mission will look like, and more.

Just what I was thinking too TomS, let's see if the manned version gets adopted I want it to succeed where the European Hermes shuttle failed to get put into production.
Well, Falcon Heavy could handle an HL-42 size version that could allow some downmass in Starship doesn’t pan out.

Well, Falcon Heavy could handle an HL-42 size version that could allow some downmass in Starship doesn’t pan out.
Why? Lift capability is not the deciding factor. There is no need or business case for it. Who would use it?

Presumably big pharma. I'd like to force gain-of-function virology off planet. That will force the test tubes into being space advocates whether they want to be or not.

To me the Dream Chaser is clearly the way of the future - touch down from orbit on a regular landing strip rather that having to be fished out of the ocean or retrieved from a more or less controlled crash in a desert.

Last edited:
Presumably big pharma. I'd like to force gain-of-function virology off planet. That will force the test tubes into being space advocates whether they want to be or not.
Huh? "Forcing" doesn't work. NASA gave pharma and other industries free rides on the shuttle and they still couldn't close business cases for space based production. Forcing gain-of-function virology off planet will likely have only two unintentional outcomes: it would either stop the research or send it underground. And you still don't have a business case for the HL-42 nor would your idea create one.

You can't force anybody to be an advocate for space. It doesn't work that way. Anyways, spaceflight already has torch bearers in Musk and Bezos. They just don't happen to preach what you want to hear.

Sierra Space’s Revolutionary Dream Chaser® Enters Final Test Campaign, Spaceplane Transitioning to Orbital Operations

Last edited:
Since the Dreamchaser and Shooting Star cargo module have arrived at the Neil Strong Test Centre they've been stacked vertically for vibration tests The simulate the launch environment), from TheSpaceBucket:

After decades of development and testing, Dream Chaser Tenacity, the first test article, is verticle and at NASA’s facility. It’s about to complete vibration testing in conjunction with the Shooting Star module and is almost ready to launch. Assuming the next few tests go well, the only limiting factor will be the Vulcan launch vehicle which is preparing for its maiden flight.
NASA and Sierra Space just released an update on the progress of this vehicle’s pre-launch testing and some of the final steps necessary before it’s approved for its mission to the International Space Station. On this mission, it will attempt to demonstrate the operations and unique benefits of a modern spaceplane. Here I will go more in-depth into the completed tests, what the next steps are, the expected launch date, and more

Dreamchaser's come a looong way. Way back in 2004, SpaceDev was thinking of an X-34-derived spaceplane that could either do suborbital missions on its own or fully orbital missions on the back of hybrid boosters (that's the rainbow-liveried one below). In 2006, Jim Benson left SpaceDev to found the Benson Space Company using the HL-20 design on top of an Atlas V.

Then, he decided on an X-15-based suborbital craft

Jim died in 2008 and Dreamchaser itself went on to Sierra Nevada and it was back to the HL-20 design, with Stratolaunch (about the same time Spacex was thinking of using them too, I think), and after that on to the current DC-100 and DC-200. That's one hell of a persistent idea and you can see why they named the first vehicle Tenacity. I'm sure he'd be proud of how his successors have carried on.

It had lots of looks:

It even kept the mini-Energiya looking stack for the lifting body for a minute

Originally it had the X-34 type…the Popular Science art from here:

Last edited:
Not true. Much smaller.

Yep. Nominally 6 crew/pax in DC200 but with no room for acrobatics because it's a taxi not a tourist vehicle. And I'm not holding my breath on that one getting flown.

It could be scaled up for Stratolaunch.
An X-34 type with liquids might allow more paying seats.

One with only two seats and more fuel for a better view?

It could be scaled up for Stratolaunch.
An X-34 type with liquids might allow more paying seats.

One with only two seats and more fuel for a better view?
No, X-34 has a bad shape for passengers.
also, two seats isn't going to bring in enough revenue.

As part of NASA’s efforts to expand commercial resupply in low Earth orbit, media are invited to view Sierra Space’s uncrewed commercial spaceplane ahead of its first demonstration flight for the agency to the International Space Station in 2024.

The Dream Chaser event is scheduled to begin at 10:15 a.m. EST Thursday, Feb. 1, at NASA’s Neil Armstrong Test Facility in Sandusky, Ohio.

For the first time, the spaceplane is coupled with its companion Shooting Star cargo module in a 55-foot-tall vertical stack for environmental testing in the Mechanical Vibration Facility at Armstrong Test Facility’s Space Environments Complex.

During the event, the following officials will provide brief remarks about the agency’s efforts to enable commercial industry, the unique capabilities of the NASA test facility, as well as share more about Dream Chaser and its ongoing testing at NASA Glenn:

Dr. Jimmy Kenyon, director, NASA’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland
Tom Vice, chief executive officer, Sierra Space
A question-and-answer session will follow remarks. Dr. Tom Marshburn, former NASA astronaut and chief medical officer for Sierra Space, also will be in attendance and available for interviews.

Media interested in attending must RSVP by 2 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 31, to Brian Newbacher at brian.t.newbacher@nasa.gov or 216-433-5644.

Attendance is in-person only and limited to participants, invited guests, and credentialed media.

Well the Dream Chaser is getting a lot closer to its first flight, from the Space Bucket:

Right now, Sierra Space and NASA are completing the final testing of Dream Chaser Tenacity, the first spaceplane test article getting ready to launch in the coming months. At the same time, they are also preparing other aspects including the launch plan, International Space Station, crews, etc.
Just recently, NASA released a nearly full flight profile of Tenacity’s first mission. This gives insight into the maiden flight, ISS approach, berthing, its stay at the station, and the return to Earth. All of which will be the firsts for this vehicle and the first spaceplane to do it in decades. Here I will go more in-depth into Tenacity’s maiden flight, some of the mission’s primary milestones, current progress, and more

The Space Bucket has a new video concerning Tenacity being stacked on the Shooting Star cargo-module:

The last time a spaceplane docked at the International Space Station was over a decade ago in 2011. Soon after the Space Shuttle was retired and frequent missions came to a stop. Now in 2024, we are only months away from the return of spaceplanes within the industry. Just yesterday it was announced that Dream Chaser Tenacity and its Shooting Star cargo module are stacked and vertical.
This is the first time the two have come together and so far the signs are looking good for maiden flight. In this mission, they will launch on ULA’s Vulcan rocket and attempt to dock to the International Space Station, before returning to Earth for a runway landing. Here I will go more in-depth into the recent milestone, final launch prep, the significance of this mission, and more.

Here's a video giving a closer look at the Dream Chaser, from the Space Bucket:

Over a decade ago, the Space Shuttle was one of the most prominent spacecraft with a total of over 100 missions. While by no means perfect, it’s responsible for a lot of the space infrastructure in use today from the Hubble Telescope to the International Space Station. Today, however, we are only a few months away from a new modern spaceplane expected to alter space access.
Dream Chaser Tenacity has been undergoing development and testing for years now and its set to lift off in only months. Taking a closer look at the vehicle’s design and interior highlights a long list of differences from the past Space Shuttle. From altered heat shield tiles, general size, vehicle compatibility, and mission profile, we haven’t quite seen a vehicle like it yet. Here I will go more in-depth into the vehicle’s internal design, its unique features, upcoming launch, and more.

So how many more ground tests to go before the Dream Chaser is cleared to be encapsulated by its' payload fairing?

So how many more ground tests to go before the Dream Chaser is cleared to be encapsulated by its' payload fairing?
Many more. It has undergo assembly, testing, cargo loading and fueling at the launch site before encapsulation. There even may be post environmental testing refurb.

Any idea how long this new round of testing will last before the Dream Chaser is encapsulated for stacking, @Flyaway ?

So basically being launched around early June then?

On another note, the space Bucket has uploaded a new video about work on the second Dream Chaser:

For the past few months now Tenacity, or DC-101, a new commercial spaceplane has been undergoing testing at NASA’s facility in preparation for its first-ever launch. This same vehicle has been going through production and various testing for years now in preparation for its maiden flight.
However, this isn’t the only Dream Chaser vehicle being actively worked on. Just recently the company shared more information on a second spaceplane under construction that will add to the Dream Chaser fleet. This comes in addition to new tests being completed and a launch only months away. Here I will go more in-depth into the recent test milestone, a second Dream Chaser, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1775634699139907869

Joey Roulette
@joroulette
Good story - I also heard ULA asked Space Force for a single-mission Vulcan certification (waiving the need for the second cert mission) amid Dream Chaser delays, and Space Force considered it but ultimately decided not to allow it. ULA faces choice to wait or change the payload
View: https://twitter.com/SierraSpaceCo/status/1775621504257905011

Sierra Space
@SierraSpaceCo
Tenacity and its cargo module are currently undergoing thermal vacuum testing at NASA’s Armstrong Test Facility in Ohio. These tests are a crucial step in its journey towards the launchpad and for our mission to redefine the future of space commercialization.