Douglas NO-1 & NO-2 Projects ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Douglas proposal for Night Observation specification was NO-1 & NO-2,the NO-1 was a pusher biplane powered by one Curtiss V-1400 engine,and NO-2 was a two-seat high wing monoplane,powered by two 220 hp Wright J5 Whirlwind radial engines,any drawings survivor to those projects ?.

Last edited:
I certainly never found one in my years of looking at that. In both instances they were projects only and no aircraft were procured. So no serials, only the designations XNO-1 and XNO-2.

Thank you my dear Jos,

and for the NO-2,I think I saw a drawing for it,but where ?.

I may be onto a source for the XNO-1. Once I have the information I will post it here.

What I can say now, with information from the Designations-Systems.Net site is that both designs were offered to the Type VIII specification for a Night Observation aircraft. The XNO-1 was the first submission and was offered in 1925. The specifications were a fuselage length of 38 feet 8 inches, with a wing span of 29 feet 6 inches. Powerplant, as previously mentioned was a water cooled Curtiss V-1400 producing 500hp. The XNO-2 was offered in 1926 and was to be 54 feet 6 inches in length, with a wingspan of 35 feet. Power was to come from a pair of Wright R-790 Whirlwing radial engines, producing 220 hp.