Douglas DC-6/DC-7 based AEW Proposals

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Factory concept model of Douglas Skysentry found on eBay.

Seller's description:
This auction is for a factory concept model from Douglas of the Sky Sentry. This was the Douglas counter-proposal to the radar "Connie" from Lockheed. It's an in-house wood model, with all original paint and markings. It has age-related stress cracks, common to all wood models that are over 55 years old. It has a small chip on the right wing pod and the radar dome. The plane itself has never had any restoration or repair and it's 100% original. The stand is 100% original with the original felt on the bottom and a reproduction logo, but has been repainted (These stands usually had a black paint textured finish). All props and spinners are made of metal and intact, they were recast from an original set. According to the friend collector who had sold me the model, this one probably came from the Douglas Museum sale back in the early 1990's and Douglas only made 15 of these models, this is number 11. It is highly unlikely that you'll see another one of these for sale. I hate to part with this beautiful and rare aircraft but I am letting it go due to limited space while currently working overseas (plus I want to concentrate on my helicopter collection!). Free shipping to the US and Europe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Douglas-Factory-Concept-model-Sky-Sentry_W0QQitemZ250547491071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a55cb50ff

Attachments

• !BhZk2(g!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DgEsMR!J2)0BLI+EopGGg~~_3.jpg
    !BhZk2(g!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DgEsMR!J2)0BLI+EopGGg~~_3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 639
  • !BhZl9IwBGk~$(KGrHqEH-CsEsKg+sytfBLI+IHh)s!~~_3.jpg
    !BhZl9IwBGk~$(KGrHqEH-CsEsKg+sytfBLI+IHh)s!~~_3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 71
  • !BhZl02QB2k~$(KGrHqMH-DcEsNkvQYUhBLI+Ht1Ytg~~_3.jpg
    !BhZl02QB2k~$(KGrHqMH-DcEsNkvQYUhBLI+Ht1Ytg~~_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 66
  • !BhZls3!BGk~$(KGrHqUH-DkEsNErTb8yBLI+HV,how~~_3.jpg
    !BhZls3!BGk~$(KGrHqUH-DkEsNErTb8yBLI+HV,how~~_3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 75
  • !BhZll0QBmk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEsNUGmk0cBLI+G-!r6w~~_3.jpg
    !BhZll0QBmk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEsNUGmk0cBLI+G-!r6w~~_3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 529
  • !BhZlddg!2k~$(KGrHqMH-CkEsM!9fR+sBLI+GkYlg!~~_3.jpg
    !BhZlddg!2k~$(KGrHqMH-CkEsM!9fR+sBLI+GkYlg!~~_3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 518
  • !BhZlWI!CGk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEsJhYS,QQBLI+GNUGo!~~_3.jpg
    !BhZlWI!CGk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEsJhYS,QQBLI+GNUGo!~~_3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 535
  • !BhZlOuw!mk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEsMDNhL+vBLI+F0DC!w~~_3.jpg
    !BhZlOuw!mk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEsMDNhL+vBLI+F0DC!w~~_3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 587
Fascinating stuff. Never heard of that one... Lucky guy who can afford to buy it!

Even tho it's supposed to be DC-6 based, it looks like a fair chunk of the DC-7D design is in it, such as the tail & engines.

Triton said:
Does anyone know if the Douglas Skysentry was based on the Douglas DC-7 airliner?

For reference, the SkySentry was a development of the Douglas Model 1863 (see attached photo), which was derived from the DC-7C airliner. It would make sense if the SkySentry made use of the DC-7D airframe, with its similar turboprop powerplants, but if Putnam says DC-6, then I won't question it. Is that a tail gunner on the SkySentry?

Attachments

• Douglas D-1863 AEW&C B&W.jpg
    Douglas D-1863 AEW&C B&W.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 176
Also for reference, here is a factory model of the DC-7D airliner (Douglas Model DS-1848). No tail gunner on this one.

Attachments

• Douglas DC-7D 01.jpg
    Douglas DC-7D 01.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 179
One of the above pics also appears to show the widened wing center section of the DC-7C. I reckon the DC-7D used the widened center section of the C.

circle-5 said:
Also for reference, here is a factory model of the Douglas DC-7D airliner. No tail gunner on this one.

You have technical informations about the SkySentry (powerplant, dimensions and others)?

frank said:
One of the above pics also appears to show the widened wing center section of the DC-7C. I reckon the DC-7D used the widened center section of the C.

This 3-View drawing answers your question.

Attachments

• Douglas DS-1848 3-View.jpg
    Douglas DS-1848 3-View.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 247
There is another...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douglas-Factory-Proposal-Model-DC-7-SkySentry-original-stand-and-props-/270906136910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1343994e

Beautiful!! I've extracted the pics for those who want to save them...

Attachments

• Skysentry_9.jpg
    Skysentry_9.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Skysentry_7.jpg
    Skysentry_7.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Skysentry_6.jpg
    Skysentry_6.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Skysentry_5.jpg
    Skysentry_5.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Skysentry_4.jpg
    Skysentry_4.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Skysentry_10.jpg
    Skysentry_10.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Skysentry_2.jpg
    Skysentry_2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Skysentry_1.jpg
    Skysentry_1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 90
Wow great find gents ;)

Keep them coming!!!

Regards
Pioneer

Here's a better photo of the Douglas Model 1863 AEW, along with its 3-view drawing.
Note to moderator: the 1863 is not the same as the SkySentry. Split topic? Rename? You decide.

Attachments

• Douglas Model 1863.jpg
    Douglas Model 1863.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Douglas 1863 3-view.jpg
    Douglas 1863 3-view.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 415
Interesting merging of radomes there. I assume the tall one is for a height finding radar separate to the range finding set in the wide radome?

Kadija_Man said:
I assume the tall one is for a height finding radar separate to the range finding set in the wide radome?

Principally the same as on the EC-121 Warning Star, I think, just with the search radar (AN/APS 95 here
too ?) moved to a dorsal position.

The Douglas 1863 proposal model is a large, metal, one-of-a-kind display piece. It had been separated from its original stand since the horribly-organized 1990s auction of the Douglas collection. After much searching, I was able to locate the lost stand in Kivik, Sweden. Many thanks to Thomas Rosenqvist (former president of Transwede and SAS charter division Premiair) for recently hand-delivering this unique stand all the way to Los Angeles.

Attachments

• Douglas 1863 02.jpg
    Douglas 1863 02.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 163
  • Douglas 1863 Nameplate.jpg
    Douglas 1863 Nameplate.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 131