Douglas ASW Submarine

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a strange concept for ASW submarine,designed by Douglas company.

https://archive.org/stream/missilesrockets8919unse#page/n369/mode/2up

Attachments

• missilesrockets8919unse_0374.jpg
    missilesrockets8919unse_0374.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 599
  • missilesrockets8919unse_0375.jpg
    missilesrockets8919unse_0375.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 542
I suspect the intent here is to use these subs for the emplacement and maintenance of sea floor sensors (proto-SOSUS), not for actually prosecuting submarine targets directly. The Trieste style pressure hull and ballast argue for a much deeper submergence than typical combat submarines.

This is really just s self propelled Trieste.

About ten years later many of the ideas shown were being put to use in NR1 and other converted special mission boats. Not directly influencing, but part of a wider thinking on how to apply subs to ocean engineering.

TomS said:
I suspect the intent here is to use these subs for the emplacement and maintenance of sea floor sensors (proto-SOSUS), not for actually prosecuting submarine targets directly.

You don't need a submarine for that.

TomS said:
The Trieste style pressure hull and ballast argue for a much deeper submergence than typical combat submarines.

So as to take advantage of the benefits great depth provides a submarine when fighting submarines limited to much more shallow dives.

This ASW Submarine would appear to be a similar operational concept to the CAPTOR ASW mine. Just having to use a manned system to provide engagement control before the advent of digital computing to make it unmanned.

The article makes no reference whatsoever to weapons, but does specifically talk about emplacement and recovery of "deep-ocean devices for ASW work." That's clearly a reference to seafloor sensors. Obviously one can do that without a submarine (because it was done) but Douglas was clearly offering this approach as an option. The proposal was actually right during the initial deployment of SOSUS and the emphasis on seafloor surveying makes sense because they needed to have good survey data to properly emplacement the sensors.

I don't think anything like CAPTOR is envisaged for a couple of reasons. First, that lack of reference to weapons. Second, endurance was between 10 hours and 36 hours (max), which isn't long enough. Third, the use of television cameras and direct vision shows an emphasis on seafloor operations.