Douglas A-4 Skyhawk

Opportunistic Minnow

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Some snippets on A-4 Skyhawk export prospects.

Kenya:
https://archive.org/details/StateDeptcable1977-189183/page/n1/mode/1up (Israeli A-4s!)

Jordan:

Lebanon:

Mexico:

Chile:

Ecuador:

Peru (in preference to Su-22s!):

Philippines:

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Somebody has found a great new resource for aviation history...

Any chance you browse A-7 similar prospects ? Aérospatiale, France, was to manufacture some of them for the Aéronavale circa 1972 as an alternative to the doomed Jaguar M.
Competitors were a naval F-1, Skyhawk, Harrier, and a dark horse: the Super Etendard, except with a J52 turbojet rather than Atar-8.

Opportunistic Minnow

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I had a cursory look for the A-7 (the search feature is sub-optimal but it is a great resource!) and only really turned up an LTV rep visit to Peru. I didn't post it because it wasn't clear how interested the Peruvians were or whether export was even permissible (in the era of the documents available it was policy to only allow A-4s, F-5s or A/T-37s for "Latin America"). I will have another look soon and maybe try to look for any P&W/SNECMA linkage as the TF30 may lead me there by another route?

ETA: There was also some discussion on Pakistan and the A-7 but as it was quite intimately linked with their nuclear programme, I didn't post because politics.

ETA2: Scrap that. SNECMA is co-oping with GE on the CFM-56 by the time of the documents available.

Last edited:

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Thank you, saw this post after seeing the A-7 thread.

A-4 was a very strong contender for the Clemenceaus, one even tested onboard.

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Anyone found anything on the A-4 Skyhawk International design study by Douglas? From what I've read, it was supposed to have been able to employ Aim-7 Sparrow III AAM's........
I'll try and find the source of where I read this proposal......

Regards
Pioneer