Dornier Rautenflugel: Joined wing fighter

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dornier studied this configuration in the late 1970s as part of their TKF-90 work. It uses a joined wing configuration, where the forward upper wing is more highly swept than the rear lower wing. This was intended to give a very lightweight, high lift wing with very low drag in both subsonic and supersonic flight.

Attachments

• Dornier Rautenflugel.jpg
    Dornier Rautenflugel.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 950
  • TKF - Dornier Alternative-2 model.jpg
    TKF - Dornier Alternative-2 model.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 895
Here are some patent images from 1978;

Attachments

• patents5.png
    patents5.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 438
  • patents4.png
    patents4.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 313
  • patents3.png
    patents3.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 792
  • patents2.png
    patents2.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 842
  • patents1.png
    patents1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 890
  • US4090681.pdf
    744.3 KB · Views: 10
Shame, scrolled down the tread, but probably too fast. :-[
At least now i could add the source to the picture and the warning "probaly inaccurate" !
Found in the Dornier folder another concept, that may be related to the ND-102, as you
mentioned 34 different configurations, with an interesting wing :
(from Aviation Week 10/1978 )

Attachments

• Do-overlapping-wing.JPG
    Do-overlapping-wing.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 468
What happened to the results of the study into this configuration? I guess that it has some inherent faults since it was not adapted, much like the diamond wing configuation for the US Navy's proposed AWACS follow-up. Off topic, it kinds of remind me of the Fand II fighter from the Japanese anime Sentouyousei Yukikaze or Superslyph Yukikaze. The designer (one of my favourite mecha designers, Ikuto Yamashita) calls it a supersonic biplane configuration.

Rautenflugel wind tunnel model - http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a079292.pdf

Attachments

• rautenflugel.png
    rautenflugel.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 276
While looking at the TKF-90 I came across this:

'One concept pursued by VFW-Fokker in particular recommends the use of delta wings with an elongation which, in conjunction with a trapeze wing with elongation produces better ride during low flying.'

Is this Rautenflugel an example of this trapeze wing or is it something completely different? I've never heard of a trapeze wing nor an elengated delta, which I can only surmise is a F-16XL style wing, but happy to be corrected.

Any ideas?

Chris

Last edited:
Poor translation from German?

VFW-Fokker studied both delta and trapezoidal wings with large strakes for TKF-90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_wing

VFW Strake-Delta :

vfw-delta-strake-concept-jpg.25464

Last edited:
Thanks Paul,

No doubt correct. I'd have thought the Air Staff would have had better technical translations.

Chris

Shame, scrolled down the tread, but probably too fast. :-[
At least now i could add the source to the picture and the warning "probaly inaccurate" !
Found in the Dornier folder another concept, that may be related to the ND-102, as you
mentioned 34 different configurations, with an interesting wing :
(from Aviation Week 10/1978 )
Tracked this down in much better quality. AWST April 23 1978

Rautenflugel AWST.jpg

Back
Top Bottom