Dornier PP = Daimler Schnellstbomber

Daimler Benz Hochleistungsflugzeug mit DB 609 (Speculative drawings)
Amazing how many mid-fuselage propellers have been proposed (e.g. Kuffner motor-glider) but how few have flown and even fewer have entered production *(Bridtschska HB-3 motor-glider built in Austria). Mind you, that Austrian motor-glider only rotated its prop around the upper of twin fuselage booms, while the lower boom helped carry pitch loads from the tail surfaces, so that the upper boom could focus on tension and compression loads.
We can easily see the aerodynamic and balance advantages.
Structurally it becomes a question of how much they need to "neck down" the fuselage structure to accommodate the prop.
What is the minimum diameter of the hollow prop shaft?
Finally, we wonder about prop vibration??????

Maybe eliminate the gears and have the engines drive two electric motors?

Daimler Benz Hochleistungsflugzeug mit DB 609 (Speculative drawings)

Not quite as speculative as you might imagine.
Interesting! Does your comment imply, you have something about it? Maybe in a new publication? Cheers, athpilot

Yes. I've found the report. Justo's drawing isn't far off. Looking at the Unicraft models website, it appears as though Gary Webster, this forum's own Kiradog, may have been the first to discover it.
As to publishing it, I now have more than enough material to create another Luftwaffe: Secret Projects type bookazine, which might be a fun change of pace from the fully referenced material in my Me 262 book. However, I have many more projects to deliver before I could get to it.

Back
Top Bottom