Does anyone have a blueprint or data about Audacious class Aircraft Carrier?

Username666

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
While I was reading a information about Audacious class on Mr.ArmouredCarrier's site, I saw information that there was another Audacious class design. I surfed the web to find related information or blueprints, but I ended up in vain.

So I ask some help about it. Does anyone have the relevant informaton and blueprints? And where can I get those information?

There wasn't "another Audacious design". The historical order of carrier design (not construction) was:-

Illustrious class
Implacable class
Indomitable (modified in 1938 while building)
1940 carrier (re-ordered in 1943 as an Audacious class see below)
1942 Audacious class
1943 Malta class (armoured design)
1944 Malta class (open hangar design)

The 1940 carrier (tentatively named Irrisistable) began life as a minimally changed Implacable. It had, extra deck protection, 54 (narrower) aircraft capacity, increased petrol storage, wider flight deck, increased hangar height, larger forward lift like Indomitable. The design was further developed through 1941 growing to 27,000 ton standard displacement with 4" armour on the flight deck and was approved for construction on 28 Nov 1941. It was ordered from Cammell Laird in March 1942 but was not laid down as this design.

These details come from Friedman "British Carrier Aviation" but there have been no published plans so far as I'm aware.

Meanwhile in early 1941 designs of a completely new carrier began. Friedman notes these early designs have been lost. Over the next year these were developed into what became the Audacious class, approved as a sketch design in March 1942, with final approval in Sept 1942. Two ships were ordered in March & May 1942 as Audacious & Eagle.

Around the time that the Audacious design was approved, the Admiralty decided that the 1940 carrier should also be built to the new Audacious design. She was laid down in 1943 as Ark Royal 4.

At the end of the war the Eagle was cancelled while still on the slip and then in 1946 Audacious was renamed Eagle before launch.

When the design of the 1943 carrier began, the initial choice was an armoured carrier that was in broad terms an enlarged Audacious. Then it was back to the drawing board in 1944 for what became a completely different carrier in the final, and never approved, Malta design.

I will check in the book:
British Aircraft Carriers: Design, Development & Service Histories by David Hobbs
if it contains more info regarding the Audacious class development.

There wasn't "another Audacious design". The historical order of carrier design (not construction) was:-

Illustrious class
Implacable class
Indomitable (modified in 1938 while building)
1940 carrier (re-ordered in 1943 as an Audacious class see below)
1942 Audacious class
1943 Malta class (armoured design)
1944 Malta class (open hangar design)

The 1940 carrier (tentatively named Irrisistable) began life as a minimally changed Implacable. It had, extra deck protection, 54 (narrower) aircraft capacity, increased petrol storage, wider flight deck, increased hangar height, larger forward lift like Indomitable. The design was further developed through 1941 growing to 27,000 ton standard displacement with 4" armour on the flight deck and was approved for construction on 28 Nov 1941. It was ordered from Cammell Laird in March 1942 but was not laid down as this design.

These details come from Friedman "British Carrier Aviation" but there have been no published plans so far as I'm aware.

Meanwhile in early 1941 designs of a completely new carrier began. Friedman notes these early designs have been lost. Over the next year these were developed into what became the Audacious class, approved as a sketch design in March 1942, with final approval in Sept 1942. Two ships were ordered in March & May 1942 as Audacious & Eagle.

Around the time that the Audacious design was approved, the Admiralty decided that the 1940 carrier should also be built to the new Audacious design. She was laid down in 1943 as Ark Royal 4.

At the end of the war the Eagle was cancelled while still on the slip and then in 1946 Audacious was renamed Eagle before launch.

When the design of the 1943 carrier began, the initial choice was an armoured carrier that was in broad terms an enlarged Audacious. Then it was back to the drawing board in 1944 for what became a completely different carrier in the final, and never approved, Malta design.
I thought the ship went through various designs before it was built, but I guess it wasn't. Anyway, thank you for the good information!

British Aircraft Carriers: Design, Development & Service Histories by David Hobbs
Thank you very much! By the way, I should buy that book if I have a chance.

Thank you very much! By the way, I should buy that book if I have a chance.
If you want detail on the background to the development both the carriers and the aircraft, Friedman's British Carrier Aviation is a better purchase IMHO. I have both in the library and they are complementary, the Hobbs book having some better detail (facts & figures) on lifts, catapults and histories of the ships.

Thank you both so much for your help! If I have a chance later, I will buy the book you told me!

*The reason why I can't write thank you right away in the answer is because there was an error in my phone for an unknown reason.

Last edited: