DISA A270

Thiel

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Found these guns in a local museum.
img_0157.jpg

img_0158.jpg

As far as I can tell they were made by DISA/Riffelsyndikatet/Madsen in the mid to late fifties and I'm pretty sure the short version on the right is chambered for the experimental 7x36mm Danish/Otterup.
P1030495w.jpg

It's the fifth from the right.
The one on the left is probably chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO.
According to internet rumour it's called the A270 but I've been unable to confirm or deny it. According to the museum it's the LAR, but all other sources I've consulted tells me that that's the leftmost gun with the wooden furniture.
To be fair to the museum it's run almost entirely by ex-army volunteers and they have a rather large collection of DISA prototypes and preproduction guns and very little documentation to go with it.
IMG_0204.JPG

Anyway, if anyone know anything about these two guns I'd like to hear it. Informed guesses on their inner workings etc are welcome as well.

Fascinating photos. I've seen DISA's original 7.62x39 prototypes listed as the "type 1" and the 7.62x51 as the "type 2" (or "NATO DISA"). If the carbine on the right is indeed the 7x36mm A270, would that have been the 'type 3', I wonder?

I'm also curious about DISA project number designations. I presume that the 'A' in A270 is for 'Automatkarabin'. But what of the 'G' in G10 for the ammunition? Could it simply be for 'Gevær'? 'Patron' would have seemed more logical. Does anyone know any of the other DISA project numbers?

A quick look at the DISA museum webpage shows two interesting weapons:
http://www.thm-online.dk/genstande/54-b1186-1159/

Apparantly the first weapon was designed for Finland in 1957 (7.62x39mm) but lost out to the AK-47 leading to redesign in 1959 as a 7.62x51mm rifle.

Attachments

• disa.png
    disa.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 345
  • DISA_NATO.png
    DISA_NATO.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 65
Thiel said:
Informed guesses on their inner workings etc are welcome as well.

Great, I love that.

From the first picture the weapon on the left is a gas piston operated weapon of very similar design to the AK-47 or AR-18 with the charging handle affixed to the bolt carrier. Judging by the vents on the gas piston tube it is probably a short-stroke gas piston weapon and likely an AR-18 clone upsized to 7.62x51mm.

The two weapons on the right look like the same design just scaled to the different ammunition. It appears to be a copy of the Mauser StG-45(M) with roller-delayed blowback operation. Just a bit more refined than the WWII German original and taylored for the more powerful 7.62x51mm in the centre weapon.

How can they be clones of the AR-18? All predate that weapon by decades.

Hot Breath said:

Only one weapon looks like an AR-18 clone. The weapon on the left of the first image above. What evidence do you have that this weapon was made in the 1940s? Which it would have to be in order to predate the AR-18 by "decades". The other weapons all have evidence indicating they were produced in the 1950s. But not the first rifle depicted..

Abraham Gubler said:
Hot Breath said:

Only one weapon looks like an AR-18 clone. The weapon on the left of the first image above. What evidence do you have that this weapon was made in the 1940s? Which it would have to be in order to predate the AR-18 by "decades". The other weapons all have evidence indicating they were produced in the 1950s. But not the first rifle depicted..
The LAR is essentially an AK-47 made of high-grade aluminium and with "western" controls

They do appear to have a SIG look to them the receiver's look allot like the stg57.

Abraham Gubler said:
Hot Breath said:

And your evidence to the contrary is?

I'd suggest that the implication from the first post is that the weapons were designed before the AR18.

Not every small arm was created by Eugene Stoner.

Hot Breath said:
And your evidence to the contrary is?

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As in my original post on this image I provided some analysis based on the physical features of the weapon.
[/font]
Hot Breath said:
I'd suggest that the implication from the first post is that the weapons were designed before the AR18.

No the 1950s claim was specific to the two other rifles as it was only mentioned after a different photo of them alone.

Hot Breath said:
Not every small arm was created by Eugene Stoner.

Eugene Stoner had nothing to do with the AR-18 and had left Armalite years before they built it.

So, your belief is just conjecture on your part and unsupported by any evidence?

Abraham Gubler said:
Eugene Stoner had nothing to do with the AR-18 and had left Armalite years before they built it.

The AR-18 is just an AR-16 clone. :eek:

The gun on the left is just a Madsen LAR m/62, based on the rifles you posted.