DFW Aircraft

Here is a nice sketch of it from page 31 of the Historical Aviation Publication "Taube, Dove of War" by Col. John A. de Vries. Notation from the book: "DFW Flying Boat: Another "definition-stretcher", DFW produced a flying boat, for the 1912 Naval competition, with an "almost-Taube" wing."

Attachments

• DFW Flying Boat e.jpg
    DFW Flying Boat e.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 511
Excellent my dear Richard N,

thank you very much.

Richard N said:
Here is a nice sketch of it from page 31 of the Historical Aviation Publication "Taube, Dove of War" by Col. John A. de Vries. Notation from the book: "DFW Flying Boat: Another "definition-stretcher", DFW produced a flying boat, for the 1912 Naval competition, with an "almost-Taube" wing."

Most sources give this aircraft as a 1914 aircraft, though.

some other datas: only flying boat built by DFW

experimental type with folded wings
hull plywood with aluminium plates
four blade propeller
mercedès 100 cv but underpowered .Substitution to a Mercedes 120cv for 1913.
empty weight 820 kg loaded 1140 kg
maximum speed 100km h with 120 cv.

From Czech Museum,

there was a mystery,the DFW P.I was a light transport airplane,modified of F37,but I found it
in as F39 ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
From Czech Museum,

there was a mystery,the DFW P.I was a light transport airplane,modified of F37,but I found it
in as F39 ?.

Also there was P.II,but no more details are known ?.

in as F39 ?.

Also there was P.II,but no more details are known ?.

From Annee Aeronautique 1925/26,

here is a variant from DFW R.II,maybe a civil version ?,am I right ?.

Attachments

• b.png
    b.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 60
Thank you my dear Richard,

and what about P.II ?.

Last edited:
Hi,

there is a different between C Type and C.I,also they had the same engine,Benz III ?.

Depends on what is supposed the C-Type to be. I found nothing about DFW C without number, but I presume that it's an armed DFW B.I. Seems that the last batches of B.I were delivered armed with a machine gun mounted on a ring just above the upper wing. The observer must stand to reach it. While the B.I and C.I proper had the same wings and fuselage, they had different engines (Mercedes D.I and Benz Bz.III respectively) and C.I had the gun ring mounted directly to the front cockpit.

I suspect that 'DFW C Type' is a generic descriptor - or a group term referring to the entire Idflieg designation range of DFW C types.

Back in 2014, Tuizentfloot mentioned an undesignated DFW C type constructed by Hermann Dorner in 1916. Not accepted, it featured single-bay wings braced with I-struts. Tuizentfloot speculated that this prototype might account for a 'missing' DFW C III designation.

-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...totypes-and-projects.22511/page-3#post-237977

I don't think there is any indication that 'C Type' itself was an actual Idflieg designation or a DFW Werksbezeichnung. So, 'a C type' rather than 'the C Type'?

For the designation DFW C.III is usually considered otherwise unnamed pusher biplane from 1915, or above mentioned Donner's lightweight single bay prototype evolved from C.II

Attachments

• dfw-c-type-experimental-1915-peter-grosz-F2F4AB.jpg
    dfw-c-type-experimental-1915-peter-grosz-F2F4AB.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 57
Dears Aubi and Apophenia,

this term or idiom was used by many German companies during the WWI or before (C Type).

I would be very pleased to see a picture of a D.F.W. B III : so far I know , it was not an evolution of the B I & B II or C I ...

For the designation DFW C.III is usually considered otherwise unnamed pusher biplane from 1915, or above mentioned Donner's lightweight single bay prototype evolved from C.II

No more Info about it,but I don't see any source called it C.III ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    572.1 KB · Views: 41
I have that info more or less from there.
It is generally accepted under reserves that the DFW two seater pusher biplane was designated C III (eg. Lange, Typenhandbuch, p. 52: "… ist sicherlich identisch mit dem dreistieligen Gitterschwanz-Doppeldecker …"). Also Herris in his DFW Aircaft of WWI (2017): "This aircraft, thought to be designated the DFW C.III, …" p. 88. For Herris "more than one prototype may have been built". For Lange "ein Prototyp".

Another candidate is the single-bay tractor biplane, the so-called "DFW C Type" in Gray and Thetford, p. 318. Back in 2014 I wrote under reserves "This airplane could be a candidate for the "missing" C III designation, …". Herris says about this biplane and his designer Hermann Dorner (p. 102): "… However, he also designed the DFW C.III and C.IV two-seat reconnaissance planes. According to an Idflieg letter of July 19, 1916, the C.III airframe was not strong enough due to the I-strutted wing cellule. This indicates that the C.III may be the single-bay tractor biplane with I-struts shown on page 99, although the DFW pusher C-type is generally considered to be the DFW C.III…". Under the photograph (the same as in Gray and Thetford, but of much better quality) he writes: "This single-bay biplane with I-strut bracing was clearly a predecessor of the DFW C.V, but its exact role is not known. It may have been the C.III as indicated by one document, but the C.III is generally thought to be the DFW pusher".

Once more, we don't know for sure. All those puzzles make early German aviation fascinating…

Thank you my dear Tuizentfloot,

and for this company,many series for it,but didn't complete;

MD-14,MRD-15,KD-15,R 15/16,T-25,T-26,F-26,T-28,T-29,T-34,F-34,F-37 & F-39 ?.

Last edited:

MD 14 = B I

MRD 15 = B II

KD 15 = C I

R15/16 = serial number of a R II

T 25 = C IV

T 26 = R I

F 26 = ???

T 28 = Floh

T 29 = C V

T 34 = D I

F 34 = D II (?)

F 37 = C IV

F 39 = ???

Hi,

what is the differences between DFW-Lübeck F 1,2,3 & 4,and Lübeck-Travemünde F 1,2 & 4 ?.

Im Juni 1914 wurde die Flugzeugwerft Lübeck-Travemünde GmH in Travemünde-Privall von DFW (Leipzig) gegründet. Im Dezember 1917 kam Fokker als Mitihaber hinzu, schied aber im Dezember 1918 aus, seine Anteile übernahm Carl Caspar, der danach die ganze Werft übernahm.

In June 1914, the Lübeck-Travemünde GmH aircraft yard in Travemünde-Privall was founded by DFW (Leipzig). In December 1917 Fokker joined as co-owner, but left in December 1918, his shares were taken over by Carl Caspar, who then took over the entire shipyard.

Source: Lange: Typenhandbuch der deutschen Luftfahrttechnik