Development of the Su-27 cockpit

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Im very curious to the development of the Su-27 from the first scetches of the T-10 to the Su-27/35.Who can tell the development history of it?

Then there were several concepts, and prototypes:
1597771896683.png
1597771941952.png 1597772014287.png

Movie clip probably with this solution:
View: https://youtu.be/czWp3MYIUqY?t=526

And after then - they were forced to make unification of cockpit with Mig-29 (the main general of air force was proponent of unification, to save costs).
This approach win - resulted in well known cockpit similar for both aircrafts.

Last edited:
But before final, well known, version - intention was to put larger, 3 color (red, green, yellow - penetron type), display. It was on some prototype - see below
Even in Mig-29 manual there is said about 3 color display:
1597772807579.png

For some reasons (economical , technological?)- this not finalized, and Su-27 and Mig-29 was equipped with smaller, monochrome display (green).
This somehow limited pilot who has to look into tactical situation combined from radar and/or external datalinks.

Last edited:
The first mockup has a multicolour HUD as well as a large circular multicolour CRT display. I'm pretty sure both were replaced on cost and manufacturing complexity reasons.

So, checking my copy of Su-27 Beginning of Story -

The multicolour displays (the text says red and green) were designs by Arsenal who were competing with Electroavtomatika to make HUD and HDD for the new generation fighters. Arsenal's PPI-70V HUD was already adopted on the MiG-31 and the circular HDD was a development of the MiG-31 one. However the HUD was very bulky and took up a lot of space in the centre of the cockpit and the layout was deemed not acceptable.

Electroavtomatika's SU-27 proposal was the two CRT drawing shown above but didn't arrive until 1978, when the MiG-29's SEI-31 cockpit systems were already finalised. Electroavtomatika's MiG-29 proposal had one CRT only.

Sukhoi were directed to study the MiG-29 cockpit layout and in the end the Su-27 systems were mostly standardised with the MiG-29 systems with the SEI-31-10 Narcissus which had a single colour ILS-31 HUD and a three colour (Yellow, Green, Red) ITO CRT. This got replaced by a monochrome CRT at some point but not sure when.

The T-10-4 was the first prototype with some kind of display with a single monochrome CRT (Okno-50) in 1979 and the first prototype with the proper SEI-31 was T-10-6 in 1980.

Last edited:
Note that the MiG-29 was also supposed to get a 3 colour CRT, as LukaszK said its even mentioned in some manuals. Presumably at least some prototypes got it?

Last edited:
Wow thats a lot of info and photos! The Suchoi designers were very creative.The cockpit looks for end 60ties begin70ties very
advanched especially for Russian standards.
Becouse western companys possesed at that time a advantage in electronic tecnology

Its cocpit layout resemble the cocpit of the F-15A Eagle into my eyes

Wow thats a lot of info and photos! The Suchoi designers were very creative.The cockpit looks for end 60ties begin70ties very
advanched especially for Russian standards.
Becouse western companys possesed at that time a advantage in electronic tecnology
It is rather end of 70 teens

Note that the MiG-29 was also supposed to get a 3 colour CRT, as LukaszK said its even mentioned in some manuals. Presumably at least some prototypes got it?
Yes, this is in thread about Mig-29 avionics. I am not aware about Mig-29 prototypes with such screen.

Don't know whether it is still relevant but there is a book https://www.ebay.com/itm/133530693051 which is written particulary on the subject of Su-27. If you need any additional info, you can check it!
Im very curious to the development of the Su-27 from the first scetches of the T-10 to the Su-27/35.Who can tell the development history of it?

I saw this book in russian.
Now I see it is also translated to English.
Nice.