I too am a fan. Despite seeming anachronistic, modern military use of horses makes at least as much sense as using open vehicles like the Supacat
Jackal or US Infantry Squad Vehicle/Canadian Light Tactical Vehicle. I suppose the biggest challenge is widespread unfamiliarity with riding by modern troops. Then again, no need to
untrain bad habits?
... Modernize the gear & reduce the burden on the horse while ur at it.
The issue of polished tack brass was mentioned in the video. But metal is still employed on halters for good reasons. In any case, brass fittings can be dulled and blackened with selenium dioxide. Likewise, nylon can be used instead of polished leather. IWO, it may be better to modify very well-proven models of tack instead of procurement types faffing about with materials of unproven strength and durability (at least as they relate to equids). [1]
why where a ghillie suit if all the horse accrutrements are still heavy metal...
I didn't see any ghillie suits. Are you referring to the
Barracuda-type camouflage on the horses themselves (~2:52)? I can see those 'cloaks' breaking up the horse's outline visually but the coverage is overly generalised assuming IR signature reduction is the goal.
In the video, the suggestion is made that an equine heat signature is already low. I am not sure that this is true but the greatest IR returns will be from the horse's head, neck, shoulders, and just above the hooves. If that
Barracuda-style stuff
is IR limiting it would be best applied to those first three areas (I doubt that it would be practical over the coronary bands).
Anyway, details aside, it is good to see supposedly out-dated modes of frontline mobility at least being trialled.
__________________________________________________
[1] Especially remembering that strength is not everything in halter design. 'Breakaway' features are also critical for animal safety. Brass is so commonly used in halters because it is strong enough for integrity and attachment purposes while, at the same time, brass will still snap under emergency conditions.