De Havilland DH.17

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the De Havilland DH.17 was a twin engined light transport biplane project,with
two crew and 16 passengers,powered by two 600 hp Rolls Royce Condor engines.

Attachments

• DH-17.jpg
    DH-17.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 436
Just to prevent others from the same astonishment, I had: The D.H. 17 actually was just a project,
the picture (from A.J. Jackson "De Havilland Aircraft") is just a well made artist's impression.

I questioned the DH Heritage Trust to see if they had any thing on this project, but sadly no. They suggested I contacted the BAe Heritage section, as a lot of the former Hatfield stuff (including DH items) had been taken over by them. They came back to me with the following which backs up Jemiba's comment above with an added piece of info regarding the timeline of this project:

"From what I can tell it was an uncompleted project proposal whilst GDH was at Airco. I can only find 1 reference to it – see attached which I think is gold dust!"

The attached item was the same photo as provided by Hesham, but at a higher resolution. One fact that I had never noticed before on this higher resolution picture is there appears to be a roundel on the fuselage, as well as the tricolour rudder markings, indicating military use. Also on this higher resolution, it clearly shows this to be a mocked up picture. DH-17.jpg

Last edited:
From Air Pictorial 1968.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    450 KB · Views: 66