Dassault Albatros

Deltafan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

from the French magazine Le Fana de l'Aviation for the month of April (free Facebook page of the magazine):

The Dassault Albatros

In the heart of the radioactive clouds

Here is a discovery in confidential archives, the amazing Dassault Albatros. With its large wings to fly at high altitude, it had to participate in French nuclear tests and take samples from the heart of radioactive clouds.
His frame was close to the Mystère family. Several engines were considered.

276318758_5078155785584505_2865088331196745059_n.jpg

Attachments

• Dassault Albatros Fana 629 avril 2022.jpg
    Dassault Albatros Fana 629 avril 2022.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Bloody freakkin' hell. Here comes the French U2. Derived from a Mystere / Etendard, the same way Lockheed derived the U2 from the F-104 main body.

Un-be-lie-va-ble.

EDIT: hilarious. Smells like rotten fish.

On a French forum, according to Frederic Marsaly, French author who works in Le Fana, the Dassault Albatros would not be a fake.

If our SPF forumer MIRAGE 4000, who knows Le Fana very well ;), could confirm

Last edited:
And its pilot would look like a momified canned sardine.
5 to 10 hours inside the cockpit of an Etendard wearing an high altitude flight suit... Think about it!

(that's probably where stands your April's fool fish)

Dear friends. 15 years after the article on the Dassault Mach 3/Mach 4 fighters, I'm proud to present a new, totally unknown project. It resembles a fish and yet it is not a fish. The Dassault Albatros is truthful. The 3-view plan is in the article...hope you like it. I have other "unknown projects" in store ... The Fana has not finished surprising you ;)

On a French forum, according to Frederic Marsaly, French author who works in Le Fana, the Dassault Albatros would not be a fake.

If our SPF forumer MIRAGE 4000, who knows Le Fana very well ;), could confirm
Dear friends. 15 years after the article on the Dassault Mach 3/Mach 4 fighters, I'm proud to present a new, totally unknown project. It resembles a fish and yet it is not a fish. The Dassault Albatros is truthful. The 3-view plan is in the article...hope you like it. I have other "unknown projects" in store ... The Fana has not finished surprising you ;)
Thanks a lot for your answer :)

Well, I’ll be darned. Beautiful illustration and a beautiful bird… that cockpit squeeze though :eek:! Reminds me a lot of the U2, but that rear half brings it into its own league… amazing stuff! Heck of a mission plan too… nuclear testing and flying through the fallout???? Squeezed like a sardine while getting microwaved…

Cool!!!
How to say "Dragon Lady" in French?

"Madame Dragon" - or "dragonne".

5e00ea5074751e381c7ef7fe53655058.jpg

From Julien Lepelletier (who drew the Dassault Albatros in this issue of Le Fana), on a French website (the two-view drawing is from Dassault archives):
julien-lepelletier-plan-n-0102.jpg

[...]
Here some information from the magazine article.
The 3-view-plan of the Dassault "Albatros" project is from August 1971.
The aircraft would have been about 16m long with a 25m wingspan.
The one version shown here was equipped with a Snecma "ATAR" 8K50 engine.
It was also planend to install two civilian (aka cheaper) Snecma/Rolls-Royce M45H engines, each of them in one nacelle over the wing, just like as on the VFW-614.
The cockpit was shielded with 300kg lead.
Two other jet engines options, the 9k50 and M53, were also studied. However, since these engines were optimized for supersonic jets, they did not seem to be very well suited for this task.
The different versions of the Albatross would have carried the Matra 536, 537 or 638 missiles, which could take samples from the radioactive clouds.
The Dassault "Albatros" project was abandoned in 1974, when France stopped testing nuclear weapons in the atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom