DARPA's Newest Invention: The ATAEM Pod

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
DARPA's Bunker-Debunker
URL: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/11/darpas-latest-cool-thing-the-b.html

BAE Systems' Flight Systems division of Mojave, California has completed the design, fabrication and initial flight testing of the airborne tomography-using active electromagnetics (ATAEM) pod, the company confirms.

Flight Systems is providing the pod to BAE's Advanced Technologies business unit, which is developing the internal sensors.

The ATAEM pod is flown suspended by a helicopter and will use electromagnetic energy to penetrate the ground to detect and map hidden bunkers and tunnels, adapting technologies developed by the geophysical exploration industry. The sensor was flown suspended by cables beneath a Eurocopter AS350 over the Mojave North range for the initial flight tests.

Opinions?

KJ

May really be useful for the defenders of our countries, but it's not new, not even
in the geophysical exploration industry, I think.
And perhaps, our defence managers should look to TV stations like arte more
often. I remember seeing a film there about aerial archaeology, where such devices
( I think, they called it "earth radar") were extensively used for searching remains of
old buildings.
But probably the BAe ATAEM pod will be much more costly for the taxpayer, than those
devices only used for archaeology. Just to prove, that freedom and security never are cheap !

;D

Hmmmm....

If you need to find a bunker
If no one else can help
And if you can find them
Maybe you can hire....

THE A-TAEM!

Attachments

• Ateam.jpg
    Ateam.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14