DARPA moving forward with development of nuclear powered spacecraft

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency on May 4 issued a solicitation for proposals for the next phase of a demonstration of a nuclear powered spacecraft.

The project, called Demonstration Rocket for Agile Cislunar Operations (DRACO), started over a year ago when DARPA selected a preliminary design for a rocket engine reactor developed by General Atomics, and chose two conceptual spacecraft designs by Blue Origin and Lockheed Martin.

The next phases of the program will focus on the design, development, fabrication and assembly of a nuclear thermal rocket engine. DARPA will conduct a “full and open competition” so this opportunity is not limited to the companies that participated in the first phase, a spokesperson told SpaceNews. Proposals are due Aug. 5.
Seems to have quite an early proposed flight date of fiscal year 2026.

Rather than start a new thread I’ll put this here.

Op-ed | It’s Time for Congress to Order the Nuclear Option

As NASA finally launches the first Space Launch System (SLS) mission, America is failing to invest in critical space propulsion technology needed to send astronauts to Mars.

The United States must develop space nuclear propulsion technologies to enable 21st-century human missions to Mars. Congress should immediately direct NASA and the Department of Energy to partner with a University Affiliated Research Center or Federally Funded Research and Development Center to create a new National Space Nuclear Propulsion Laboratory.

It is naive and against national interests for the U.S. to rely on expensive, outdated, slow, single-use chemically propelled rockets like SLS to transport astronauts to Mars. Instead, America must aggressively invest in developing space nuclear propulsion systems.

Wow, the US military are now considering a nuclear powered aircraft again, I thought that after the last time they tried nuclear powered aircraft, the program got cancelled. I can see this new program going the same way.

On a related note:

On a related note:
Disappointed but not surprised that they're going nuclear thermal rather than nuclear electric. It will be interesting to watch regardless.

On a related note:
Disappointed but not surprised that they're going nuclear thermal rather than nuclear electric. It will be interesting to watch regardless.
I remember seeing a VaSIMR mission profile with the main spacecraft spiralling out very slowly even at it's lowest isp/highest thrust and consequently spending a lot of time in the Van Allen belts. Crew would be launched in an Orion to rendezvous once it had reached high orbit, which makes manned missions in cislunar space complicated. Also, I gather, ion and plasma really only come into their own for manned missions at interplanetary ranges and timescales. So apparently, nuclear-thermal is best for cislunar applications in the near term and nuclear-electric for interplanetary missions in the long term.

On a related note:
I remember seeing a VaSIMR mission profile with the main spacecraft spiralling out very slowly even at it's lowest isp/highest thrust and consequently spending a lot of time in the Van Allen belts. Crew would be launched in an Orion to rendezvous once it had reached high orbit, which makes manned missions in cislunar space complicated. Also, I gather, ion and plasma really only come into their own for manned missions at interplanetary ranges and timescales. So apparently, nuclear-thermal is best for cislunar applications in the near term and nuclear-electric for interplanetary missions in the long term.
There are work-arounds for long exposure, including boosting the crew separately to meet the vehicle after it is beyond the belt or using a high-thrust chemical stage to boost the spacecraft on its initial leg. The immense radiation hazard of NTP, which makes any kind of rendezvous mission treacherous, doesn't go away easily.

Last edited:
I wonder if that could be used to extend RTG service life…freshening it.

One work-around actually is to recruit smokers and not give them any cigarettes for the journey. Provided they don't kill each other, their life expectancies will increase.

Time for nuclear staging:

NTR type Centaurs that can loop back from Jupiter.

Their payloads?

Probes with LK-99 equipped RTGs and H9 MUSCLE ion drive.