• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

DARPA/Lockheed Martin Integrated Sensor is Structure (ISIS) airship

Desert Dawn

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.picturetrail.com
http://www.darpa.mil/sto/space/pdf/ISIS.pdf

Now i can`t wait to see what type of high performance solar panels and fuel cells they will design and use for this one. With the budget they`ve got, we can sure expect a number of technological advances in that field (as well as lighter, stronger textiles).

And notice the maps : Taiwan and People`s Republic of China.

;)

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
So it's a solar-powered blimp with with twice the radar and sensor range of an AWACS with both the ability to track air-targets and ground targets?

Not to sound like my usual self, but some of the data which is mentioned regarding it's ground-tracking ability, what of the risk that it could be used for domestic surveillance? After all there is the National Applications Office which essentially has been created last year for the purpose of sharing military and intelligence satellite data with law-enforcement...

KJ Lesnick

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Lockheed Martin High Altitude Airship (HAA)

hole in the ground

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
At the altitudes that i would imagine this to operate at isnt it going to have issues positioning itself against prevailing winds... jetstream?

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
hole in the ground said:
At the altitudes that i would imagine this to operate at isnt it going to have issues positioning itself against prevailing winds... jetstream?
https://ams.confex.com/ams/88Annual/techprogram/paper_128256.htm
https://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/128256.pdf

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

white graph shows wind speeds in km/h at certain altitude

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the color of the envelope varies between white and silver from image to image? The chromed appearance is unique enough that I wouldn't think that it's just artistic whimsy.

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
taildragger said:
Does anyone know why the color of the envelope varies between white and silver from image to image? The chromed appearance is unique enough that I wouldn't think that it's just artistic whimsy.

Two possibilities: 1°) White is used to make the cutaways more readable, or 2°) the chrome finish takes the reflections from its environment, hence the blue (sky) or white (clouds) in some images... Unless it's simply the so-called artistic license?!? ;)

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Perhaps the envelope is reflective to help control the temperature of the gas inside...

cheers,
Robin.