Curtiss Ascender XP-55 - Air Force Legends #217 by Gerald Balzer

Madoc

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hey all!

The XP-55 Ascender was one of those "could've been" US aircraft of World War II. And now Ginter Books has given it their trademark Excellent treatment!

I just got my hands on one - direct from Ginter Books itself - and it's a real beaut!

This is the latest in his "Air Force Legends" line of books and follows his trademark format of origins, competitors, design phase, systems and structural details, operations and winds up with a survey of the model kits of the type.

In a bit of a departure from his usual format, Steve also saw fit to include a section on the restoration of the one surviving Ascender and that too is fascinating to see!

The photos of the knooks and crannies of this bird are awesome! This is an excellent treatment of a fascinating machine and it's well worth its $20 (or so) price!

Amazon has this title available in a month or two but Steven Ginter has them available for sale from his site right now. If you drop him a line about the book, please mention my name as being your path to this outstanding book.

I spoke with him in the process of my ordering a copy and he let me know that if this one sells well enough then he would consider doing similar treatments of the other R40-C birds! So, buy early and buy often!

http://www.ginterbooks.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Curtiss-Ascender-XP-55-Gerry-Balzer/dp/0989258335/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392679280&sr=1-1&keywords=xp-55

Info about Curtiss jet fighter design work from XP-55 can be found on Tony Buttler last book about US early jet fighters

Madoc said:
I spoke with him in the process of my ordering a copy and he let me know that if this one sells well enough then he would consider doing similar treatments of the other R40-C birds! So, buy early and buy often!

Other R40-C birds ? Vultee XP-54 :p first please, with Gerald Balzer as the author of course !

I'm ordering my XP-55 book today. Mr. Balzer is a Northrop expert so I see a XP-56 book in his future - hopefully in the Ginter Books USAF series. -SP

There is a brief mention of the jet variant, and a 3-view drawing of it. Also mentioned is a larger transport version, with four pusher props.

Firebee said:
There is a brief mention of the jet variant, and a 3-view drawing of it. Also mentioned is a larger transport version, with four pusher props.

Possibly the same as this?

Attachments

• Curtiss Flying Wing enhanced.jpg
    Curtiss Flying Wing enhanced.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 293
Changed topic title to credit the actual author - Gerald Balzer. Steve Ginter is a good guy but is only the publisher for this book, not the author.

Stargazer said:
Firebee said:

Possibly the same as this?

The illustration is different, but yes. The design is very similar. Cockpit glazing and the very rear of the fuselage are different, though. It is described as a double-deck fuselage, as pictured in your post.

Balzer did a few years ago a book for Specialty Press on the XP-54, XP-55 and XP-56. That one had magnificent reproduction quality. How's this new one as sometimes (always) Ginter Books' reproduction is not up to premium standards?

Pasoleati,

I have that book as well and agree with you about its content and quality. I'm not sure however, what you're referring to about the "premium standards" that Ginter's books are "always" not up to.

I've purchased many of his titles and some of those go back quite a ways to when Ginter Books was a much more limited enterprise and could only afford a very basic manner of printing its content. They have progressed significantly since then but for many a year now their books have been first rate in quality.

The XP-55 book reflects this handsomely. Thick glossy paper is used throughout, the printing quality of the text, the photographs, and the images are all first rate, and the layout of the book's content is well conceived, well executed and renders the subject quite readable.

I hope that answers your questions and allays any of your fears.

Madoc

Madoc, that did indeed answer those questions, thanks! There has been a hiatus with purchasing Ginter's books as I thought that there are no European based dealers for them but luckily it seems that e.g. The Book Depository carries them at a fair price. Dramatically increased shipping costs from the U.S. has wreaked havoc with my overseas purchases...

Pasoleati said:
Dramatically increased shipping costs from the U.S. has wreaked havoc with my overseas purchases...

Ditto. The shipping rates nowadays are just ridiculous and discourage most purchases from the U.S. (shipping typically costs three times the price of the item itself).

Indeed , but I had the same unpleasant experience by -directly- ordering books via Crécy U.K....

Back
Top Bottom