Curious Japanese Shimpu/Shimbu Aircraft

Pelzig

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
This line art is found in the recently published Maru Special on the Mitsubishi A7M Reppu.

Asides from looking like it uses the fuselage of the Nakajima Kitsuka (Kikka for the rest of you! ;D), I have no idea what those engines are supposed to be.

Perhaps in the text? Odd the word "kamikaze" was used, but then, that is the word used in the West.

Cheers!

EDIT: Or, could this be the model of the Kitsuka with the Tsu-11 or Ne 12?

Attachments

• kamikaze.jpg
    kamikaze.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 658
Certainly possible, indeed. Unfortunately, there is no other view in the book save this one. A top view would have gone far to show if you were right if the engines were spaced far enough apart from the fuselage to allow for prop clearance.

In my research of the Kitsuka, I found no mention of using the airframes as shimpu aircraft with radials, or any configuration like that.

Seems to me much too much work when the IJN had the Showa Toka that was far easier to construct. A Kitsuka with two drag inducing radials likely would have provided no better performance than the Toka.

I suspect someone able to read Japanese can provide the clues. ;D

Justo Miranda said:
Why not a pair of conventional radial pushers ?

And the tail certainly looks like one used on a Mitsubishi A6M. ???

Hi! Let me say. According to Japanese text, This illustration is based on the drawing of curious aircraft with two pusher type air cooled piston engines flying over American ships, from American Popular Science magazine or Popular Mechanics Magazine just after WWⅡ. The conclusion is it's ghost plane borne by the scare for KAMIKAZE,Center of Gravity is strange to fly.

Ah, so, it is pretty much a made-up aircraft! :)

Thanks for that info!

Cheers!

blackkite said:
Hi! Let me say. According to Japanese text, This illustration is based on the drawing of curious aircraft with two pusher type air cooled piston engines flying over American ships, from American Popular Science magazine or Popular Mechanics Magazine just after WWⅡ. The conclusion is it's ghost plane borne by the scare for KAMIKAZE,Center of Gravity is strange to fly.

Hi,

http://japan-talk.ru/istoriya/doktrina-kamikadze.html

Attachments

• samolet_kamikadze.jpg
    samolet_kamikadze.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 280