Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem something of a flaw to have a database so open to falsification.

Misinformation about the side effects of COVID vaccines has been rife — particularly among vaccine skeptics and anti-vaccine groups. Insider reported last week that some groups were circulating "death lists" and broadcasting screenshots of reports of disturbing side effects, pulling statistics from an unvetted vaccine database to warn others about unverified "side effects" from taking the COVID shot.

However, the vaccine database in question, known as the US Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), does not require a medical professional to verify symptoms before reports are logged — meaning that reports of deaths and adverse side effects are unverified, and may even be falsified.

Yeah, I'm predicting it will evolve into something like OC43, 229E, NL63, or HKU1.

I've had the Pfizer vaccine administered (2 doses, roughly four weeks apart), and the side-effects were mild--fatigue. Lasts about a day afterwards, hits the following morning (after the vaccine jabbing) when you get up. But nothing crazy. I'm glad I am vaccinated. That's one key thing to make sure we stay alive for a while.

The number of people hospitalised for COVID-19 decreased by 131 to a seven-week low of 25,666. And, amongst that total, patients in intensive care units for the disease stood at 4,870, the lowest since March 27.

The COVID-19 death toll grew by another 292 on Monday, at 106,684, the world's eighth-highest. But, at 222, the seven-day moving average of daily new fatalities is the lowest since Oct. 26.

France's 5.78 million cases count is the fourth-highest globally, behind the United States, India and Brazil.

It does seem something of a flaw to have a database so open to falsification.

Misinformation about the side effects of COVID vaccines has been rife — particularly among vaccine skeptics and anti-vaccine groups. Insider reported last week that some groups were circulating "death lists" and broadcasting screenshots of reports of disturbing side effects, pulling statistics from an unvetted vaccine database to warn others about unverified "side effects" from taking the COVID shot.

However, the vaccine database in question, known as the US Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), does not require a medical professional to verify symptoms before reports are logged — meaning that reports of deaths and adverse side effects are unverified, and may even be falsified.
The point is to capture all prospective side-effects from medication, including stuff people might not feel they needed to bother their doctor with - particularly if they might have to pay to see a doctor (and also for those who have doctors who just can't be bothered to do more than the absolute minimum). Every issue logged, whether by doctor or patient, may or may not be due to the medication in question, no one knows until the stats start to firm up. People falsifying or wrongly portraying the results aren't normally a concern, though they have the potential to be a problem in this case.

The things that turn up in databases like this (the UK has a similar system, the 'Yellow Card Scheme' - so-called because you used to fill in a yellow card) are basically there to trigger a closer look if they start to appear in more than the odd ones and twos - it's essentially where the stats behind those 1 in 10 | 1 in 100 | 1 in 1000 | etc warnings of adverse effects in medication safety leaflets come from. It's also where, as an example, the frequency of the adverse clotting reactions for AZ will have shown up. No one takes the reports on face value without a medical professional looking into them, but the person in the street doesn't necessarily understand that (and generally doesn't understand probability and risk).

I've had the Pfizer vaccine administered (2 doses, roughly four weeks apart), and the side-effects were mild--fatigue. Lasts about a day afterwards, hits the following morning (after the vaccine jabbing) when you get up. But nothing crazy. I'm glad I am vaccinated. That's one key thing to make sure we stay alive for a while.
Lots of variation among friends getting Pfizer, from nothing at all to fatigue and brain fog lasting a week to ten days. But not one of them doubts it was worth it.

This really is talking about the difficulties of modelling when you have a number of loosely constrained or unknown variables such as the emergence of variants, what those variants will be like and rates of vaccine failure in real world settings. But then you’ve also got to try and model human behaviour like how often will people try and circumvent quarantine controls etc.

Regarding my post above I wonder if people who deliberately haven’t been vaccinated haven’t twigged the fact that if there is a third wave, which I expect there will be, that the figures show that vaccination failure will probably make up a percentage but nothing like the unvaccinated. Though of course my sympathy here is with those who medically can’t be vaccinated not those taking a deliberate choice in the matter. By the way if talk of a third wave frightens a few more into being vaccinated then all to the good in my book.

Last edited:
I see there’s been more comment in the US press about COVID being an accidental escape of a previously discovered virus that had undergone gain of function research not to weaponise it or anything silly like that but just to better understand it for development treatments. What’s people’s thinking on this, anything in it?

I think it requires a very strong proof or disproof, otherwise I'm interpreting it as rightwing facebook propaganda designed to trick stupid violent people into getting even more stupid and violent to cause mayhem.

I think it requires a very strong proof or disproof, otherwise I'm interpreting it as rightwing facebook propaganda designed to trick stupid violent people into getting even more stupid and violent to cause mayhem.
There has been previous accusations of experiments being conducted at the wrong BSL, admittedly strongly denied by the Chinese authorities. Also there was that scientific paper I previously posted on here that claimed to have found coronavirus contamination of nearby food crops. Though that paper wasn’t peer reviewed.

There has been previous accusations of experiments being conducted at the wrong BSL, admittedly strongly denied by the Chinese authorities. Also there was that scientific paper I previously posted on here that claimed to have found coronavirus contamination of nearby food crops. Though that paper wasn’t peer reviewed.
IIRC the other issue with that paper that warranted doubt was the affiliation of the lead researchers, or rather their lack of affiliation with any university, never mind a major one.

I see there’s been more comment in the US press about COVID being an accidental escape of a previously discovered virus that had undergone gain of function research not to weaponise it or anything silly like that but just to better understand it for development treatments. What’s people’s thinking on this, anything in it?
I didn't get past the paywall on the WSJ article someone linked the other day, but if your lede on the article is to pick a fight over the likelihood of "left wing journalists" (or it might have been activists, not journalists) disagreeing with the main body of the article, not to concentrate on the supposed point of the article, then it actually suggests the skeptics probably have a point and you know it. And if your second string in the headline is to try to smear Dr Fauci by association, then I think your real motives are pretty damned apparent.

The only damning thing about US involvement with the Wuhan lab studying bat coronaviruses would have been if there wasn't any. Before there was Covid we'd dodged the coronavirus pandemic bullet twice in a decade or so with SARS and MERS, which were individually even nastier, but didn't hit the transmission sweetspot to become pandemic. That ongoing coronavirus threat made links with the Wuhan lab vital to US bio-security, and if the WSJ is trying to use that against Dr Fauci then the only question to ask is who is pulling the WSJ's strings?

And the other thing to note about the WSJ article is the WSJ itself labelled it 'Opinion', which means it didn't go through the news desk for news level fact checking, it's pure political polemic.

The WSJ writer cites Nicholas Wade MA, who wrote a book about genetically driven differences in various political cultures. That book went down like a lead balloon among geneticists. Couldn't get past the paywall either, but then I didn't try very hard.

Last edited:

UK government is now concerned about the Indian variant (B1.617.2), which SAGE says may be as much as 50% more infectious than the Kent variant (B1.1.7) which is itself 50% more infectious than baseline Covid. They'd already mentioned plans to saturation vaccinate areas where there are outbreaks, but they're now bringing second jabs forward to 8 weeks for the over 50s and clinically vulnerable (I'd better go check if my GP has been texting me) and the 21st June end to legal lockdown measures may be in doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.