Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to be some good news on the Indian variant as it may not be as transmissible as first thought. However, it is still likely to replace the Kent variant as it is evolutionary more fit especially as it is a bit of a swiss army knife of a variant looking to be more effective in a number of key areas. See below. But the bad news is we've still enabled a more evolved variant into the UK.

On vaccines, he emphasised the likelihood of jabs still being able to prevent severe disease – though there were also some “hints in the data” of reduced vaccine efficacy when it comes to getting infected in the first place, and against transmission.

Malawi has destroyed almost 20,000 doses of AZ vaccine as they were 18 days out of date even though analysis of the vaccines showed they were still viable until July. This is too the background of Africa generally struggling to get enough doses.

FAA moves to zero-tolerance on disruptive passengers as rates soar, and it's all mask-related. One guy is facing a $52.5k fine, a woman a $32.5k fine.

Test and Miss strikes again.

"The software error meant that more than 700 infected people and their close contacts were not promptly passed on to local health teams, allowing them to potentially spread the disease further.

The number of missing cases was highest in Blackburn with Darwen, where about 300 people are believed to have been lost in the system"

"Downing Street confirmed there had been what it called “a short delay” in tracking down the contacts of people who tested positive for coronavirus for several weeks, but insisted there was no evidence this had hastened the spread of the B.1.617.2 variant of coronavirus, which is believed to be more transmissible."

No wonder the Tories made a big song and dance about vaccine hesitancy at the start of the week. They wanted every one convinced it was a problem with brown people before the truth came out.

No wonder the Tories made a big song and dance about vaccine hesitancy at the start of the week. They wanted every one convinced it was a problem with brown people before the truth came out.
Is that all Tories or just the ones that voted for Brexit?

Important thing is it still fully protects you against all known variants currently in circulation, but worth noting the fine detail on this. Personally that’s why I think it’s important that the vaccines keep getting updated, I am not convinced the current ones will work forever and it’s better to be safe than sorry. Plus, and I know I’ve said this before, but I really do wish we would stop importing these evolved variants. Looking at the government here.

The company's chief executive, Ugur Sahin, said he was encouraged by recent findings in a scientific paper - adding that his company's jab is around 75% effective against the variant of the coronavirus first found in South Africa.

The study preprint, which appeared in bioRxiv, found that while samples of the Indian variant were more resistant than previous strains, the antibodies triggered by the jab would still "neutralise" the virus.

Back on to masking, latest study shows that masking efficacy might be limited by the lack of distanciation; a must to know while re-opening is now priority.

Airborne transmission by droplets and aerosols is important for the spread of viruses. Face masks are a well-established preventive measure, but their effectiveness for mitigating SARS-CoV-2 transmission is still under debate. We show that variations in mask efficacy can be explained by different regimes of virus abundance and related to population-average infection probability and reproduction number. For SARS-CoV-2, the viral load of infectious individuals can vary by orders of magnitude. We find that most environments and contacts are under conditions of low virus abundance (virus-limited) where surgical masks are effective at preventing virus spread. More advanced masks and other protective equipment are required in potentially virus-rich indoor environments including medical centers and hospitals. Masks are particularly effective in combination with other preventive measures like ventilation and distancing.

-------******---------

Also, new released data tend to show that vaccines lotteries work in attracting priorly reluctant folks!

Last edited:
Is this case of the Indian government fiddling whilst Rome burns, or am I being unfair on them?

EU Digital COVID Certificate to be ready by the end of June.

Is this case of the Indian government fiddling whilst Rome burns, or am I being unfair on them?

One source said that another issue being discussed between Pfizer and New Delhi was the Indian government’s insistence on a local trial for any vaccine approval. The source added that Pfizer cannot finalize terms of a supply agreement, including indemnity, if the vaccine is not first authorized for use in India.
Too much nationalism definitively can kill...

Vaccine refusers are increasingly seen as a problem especially with a highly transmissible variant. I know personally three people who won’t get vaccinated, two because they are frightened it will make them ill or kill them. One because of his religious beliefs. He believes god is personally protecting him from harm on earth, he’s told me that to my face in the past.

Government ministers and officials have shared their fears that a “small but significant” minority of people are declining to get the coronavirus vaccine when offered.

One unnamed minister told the Politicowebsite that vaccine refusers were the “principal threat” to the planned lifting of further lockdown curbs on 21 June.

“If even quite a small number of people don’t take the vaccine, a variant with high transmissibility can easily cause a lot of deaths,” the minister said. “The risk is that a small number of idiots ruin it for everyone else.”

I haven't received a flue vaccine since I got out of the USMC in 1989 - because I still got the flu even after the shot, and the shot made me almost as sick.

I DID get the Covid vaccine (Moderna, late March & April 7) because I live with my parents (Father 88, Mother 83) who both have some health problems (they both got their vaccination in Jan/Feb as soon as it was available).

Sometimes it is NOT "all about me"!

Welcome news and not unexpected. In spite of what the media would have you believe I don’t think viruses suddenly escape vaccines they wear them down. But providing you manage things properly I would think you can get an updated vaccine out to people before that happens. My concern is the idea of managing things properly appears to be a unknown concept to many governments. By the way if I see another media report saying we have seen no evidence it has got more lethal, this is just baseless scaremongering as the virus is very unlikely to do this as there is no evolutionary advantage to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.