Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a more sober apolitical article:

Finally, in this time of unfortunate anti-Asian sentiment in some countries, we note that at the beginning of the pandemic, it was Chinese doctors, scientists, journalists, and citizens who shared with the world crucial information about the spread of the virus—often at great personal cost (8, 9). We should show the same determination in promoting a dispassionate science-based discourse on this difficult but important issue.

Plenty busy on Friday afternoon too,when I had my second dose of AZ. Totally worth standing 15 minutes in the rain for. And my sister had her second dose on Saturday, so that's the entire family covered. Countrywide we've now started calling in the 32yos, everyone older, or clinically vulnerable, has now been offered a shot.

I did have a bizarre side-effect. From a couple of hours after the shot until 11PM on Saturday I was fighting to keep my eyes open. Didn't feel ill or anything, and I don't think I even fell asleep for more than a couple of minutes, but eyelids kept drooping and I felt like I could so easily have fallen asleep at any moment. And that was true even straight after six-eight hours sleep on Friday night. And then it just stopped. Weird.

Related paper:

Novel Canine Coronavirus Isolated from a Hospitalized Pneumonia Patient, East Malaysia

Abstract
Background
During the validation of a highly sensitive pan-species coronavirus (CoV) semi-nested RT-PCR assay, we found canine CoV (CCoV) RNA in nasopharyngeal swabs from eight (2.5%) of 301 patients hospitalized with pneumonia during 2017-18 in Sarawak, Malaysia. Most patients were children living in rural areas with frequent exposure to domesticated animals and wildlife.
Methods
Specimens were further studied with universal and species-specific CoV and CCoV one-step RT-PCR assays, and viral isolation was performed in A72 canine cells. Complete genome sequencing was conducted using Sanger method.
Results
Two of eight specimens contained sufficient amounts of CCoVs as confirmed by less-sensitive single-step RT-PCR assays, and one specimen demonstrated cytopathic effects (CPE) in A72 cells. Complete genome sequencing of the virus causing CPE identified it as a novel canine-feline recombinant alphacoronavirus (genotype II) that we named CCoV-HuPn-2018. Most of CCoV-HuPn-2018 genome is more closely related to a CCoV TN-449, while its S gene shared significantly higher sequence identity with CCoV-UCD-1 (S1 domain) and a feline CoV WSU 79-1683 (S2 domain). CCoV-HuPn-2018 is unique for a 36 nt (12-aa) deletion in the N protein and the presence of full-length and truncated 7b non-structural protein which may have clinical relevance.
Conclusions
This is the first report of a novel canine-feline recombinant alphacoronavirus isolated from a human pneumonia patient. If confirmed as a pathogen, it may represent the eighth unique coronavirus known to cause disease in humans. Our findings underscore the public health threat of animal CoVs and a need to conduct better surveillance for them.

Well I never knew that all modern seasonal flu viruses are descendants of the Spanish flu of 1918. Nobody actually knows what the flu viruses before 1918 look like as it wiped then all out.

The further back in time researchers must go, the harder the samples are to find—but Bloom told me he’s especially intrigued by the possibility of finding pre-1918 flu genomes in the archives. When the 1918 pandemic swept through the world, it apparently completely replaced whatever flu existed before. Its modern-day descendants continue to infect us today as seasonal flu. In this way, the 1918 flu is familiar to us and our immune systems. What came before is still a mystery.

Well I never knew that all modern seasonal flu viruses are descendants of the Spanish flu of 1918.
That theory was discredited years ago, so far as I was aware.
Actually it hasn’t. What I got wrong is that though it did wipe out all pre-1918 flu types the seasonal flu is actually made up of a number of flu types these days but that they all have appeared since 1918.

The info so far released seems to indicate that the new variant is problematic but not a deal breaker, yet when the government carry on like this people are likely to think it’s more of a menace than it actually is.

In case anyone wonders why I consider Modi to be a mass murdering sicko and the virus's staunchest ally ever. My real opinion of Modi would get me banned from here and every social media at once. Suffice to say he's actually allied with a f██king virus in order to imprison, torture, and kill literally everyone who dissents.

Have fun going down in history as India's Hitler, Modi! See you in Hell!

Lengthy article basically saying that the CDC acted too hastily in revising their mask guidance and that data on deciding on if vaccinated people do or not pass on the virus will take time to gather, that they shouldn’t be relying on limited provisional studies. That the only way to be really certain is contact tracing studies which take time and are not always easy to do.

Vaccine makers are digging their heels in opposing patent waivers on their products. But if you read the article it’s not as black and white a matter as you might expect.

I stronly suspect that the final theory/version will be officially inconclusive.

Study of a rare highly mutated version of COVID-19 includes an escape mutation for natural immunity.

I didn't know Facebook was part of the intelligence community.

Study of a rare highly mutated version of COVID-19 includes an escape mutation for natural immunity.
The 'escape mutation' is just E484K (AKA Eeek!), which is relatively common in variants. The South African and Brazilian variants have it and it's emerged at least twice in the UK, once in the original strain and once in the Kent variant (and gone nowhere).

Last edited:
Former chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies writes about the growing threat of antibiotic resistant bacteria and what can be done to tackle the twin problems of the lack of investment in new antibiotics, and stopping the over use of the ones we have now.

The problem of parents in the US opposing their children being vaccinated, a bigger issue than I thought. The example presented at the front of this article even sees a father offering his daughter $2,000 not to get vaccinated. I rather pity the guy as all his family have been vaccinated but him and he’s convinced as a result that they will all die. But in reverse his family must be distraught that they’ll be fine and he’s the one who will die. That’s why this anti-vaxx misinformation is so insidious through the human cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.