Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, no virus can stop a private national bank called the Federal Reserve. 'There has also been “clear progress,” he said, toward the Fed’s goal of maximum employment.'

I did not know that the Federal Reserve ran the country.

Do you think sars-2 will mutate into sars-3 in a year or it will disappear and reappear after 20 years

Let’s take the positive from this that the vaccine program has averted now almost 110,000 deaths. Just as a side point I believe from a psychological viewpoint number of deaths averted should be kept front and centre of press releases as it will show the vaccines are working and be a positive even in more rocky periods.

Do you think sars-2 will mutate into sars-3 in a year or it will disappear and reappear after 20 years

Your question runs into problems with the proper terminology:

SARS-CoV-1 (SARS) and SARS-CoV-2 (COVID), are separate human-infectious strains* of the SARS-CoV virus, with a 79% genome overlap (ie significantly more different from each other than we are from Chimps at 96% overlap), SARS-CoV-3 would be used for a third crossover from the parent lineage, not a variant of SARS-CoV-2.

(MERS is MERS-CoV, a separate species of Coronavirus, within a separate sub-genus (Merbecovirus vs Sarbecovirus), but the same genus (Betacoronavirus)).

We've already seen the emergence of multiple variants of SARS-CoV-2, but accumulating a 21% divergence from the original genetics equivalent to the difference between SARS-Cov-1 and 2 will take a considerable time (coronavirus mutation rate seems to be estimated at about 25-35 base pairs/year). The spread of vaccination will drive evolution within the different Covid strains we've already identified, because strains able to do better in vaccinated individuals will have an evolutionary advantage, but that only takes fairly minor genetic changes - coronaviruses contain about 30,000 base pairs (DNA characters), but the mutations that have gotten attention such as E484K (aka Eeek!) actually denote a single codon change (from one set of 3 DNA characters coding for a single amino-acid to a different set of 3 coding for another amino-acid), the smallest degree of change possible.

I expect SARS-CoV-2 to become endemic, because there doesn't seem to be the political will to wipe it out. The point at which it might just vanish was missed way back at the start of 2020. There clearly is the potential for new coronavirus crossovers, because we've seen three in twenty years, but there's a good chance they'd come from a different coronavirus than SARS-CoV or MERS-CoV.

* There are also bat-resident strains.

Vaccinating the 100k Afghan refugee could be a good usage.

That would be a considerable logistical challenge - collecting all the due to expire vaccines from wherever they're currently distributed to, then shipping them to all the wherevers the refugees have ended up. Simpler to vaccinate all the refugees from local resources, and try to ensure all the short-lifed vaccines get used wherever they currently are.

@DWG : Yup, you are right. It depends on how they are stocked. My (uncorrect) understanding was that those were doses sitting in a few AZ depots somewhere.
My bad.

On another note:
20210826edptc-a.jpg

Source:

TLDR:
4 agencies: animal crossover, low confidence
1 agency: accidental lab release, moderate confidence*
Everyone: not genetically engineered

* That agency might have moderate confidence, but doesn't appear to have convinced anyone else.

Unvaccinated teacher infected half her students with Covid, CDC finds

"An unvaccinated teacher in a California elementary school infected half her students and 26 people in total when she contracted the Covid-19 Delta variant, researchers for the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found.

The researchers said the teacher attended school for two days despite displaying symptoms of Covid-19, and read aloud to her class without a mask during that time. Infections corresponded to the classroom’s seating chart, with the students sitting closest to the teacher the most likely to be infected."

So this guy wanted the freedom to widow his wife and leave his children without their father.

I hate that kind of "lists" but from the top of my head it is at least the fourth "prominent" anti-vax to die that month. There was British one early august, two more over the last two weeks, and this one.

They are paying for their stupidity - they just don't grasp some basic facts:
a) the virus takes no prisoniers
b) the virus don't care about politics.
c) It is just there to infect, kill, and spread.

a) the virus takes no prisoners
b) the virus doesn't care about politics.
Exactly. This is why you don't play with bioweapons or treat an existing plague as a bioweapon.

In Los Angeles, price for admission at nation’s second-largest school district is a negative covid test — every single week

"LOS ANGELES — As hundreds of thousands of kids return to class in the nation’s second-largest school district, they’re participating in what amounts to a massive public health experiment unfolding in real time: Every single student, teacher and administrator in the Los Angeles public schools must get tested for the coronavirus every single week — indefinitely.

Even the fully vaccinated are required to get tested. Those who test positive stay home for at least 10 days. And those who decline to get tested can’t come at all."

I wonder if they're using tests less annoying than the foot long brain tickler in California by now. Here in Louisiana... nope.

Though we hear about these other variants none of them seem spread very far, I suppose they get crowded out by the Delta variant.

So this guy wanted the freedom to widow his wife and leave his children without their father.

I hate that kind of "lists" but from the top of my head it is at least the fourth "prominent" anti-vax to die that month. There was British one early august, two more over the last two weeks, and this one.

Another two here as well. I have to wonder how many avoidable deaths we have to see before some of these people get the message, or are they too far gone in some cases.

Staffordshire Covid sceptic Marcus Birks dies in hospital https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-58376709

Last edited:
I know it's revolting but the covid-sceptic phenomena is not solely related to Covid-19. It illustrates only a cracking undermining our modern western society (as I can't see such wide spread movement in Asia for example).

So instead of simply abhorring what Anti-Vaxxers are, perhaps we should patiently try to care for this underlying problem and patch urgently the cracks to get a better result.

Last edited:
Covid vaccination campaign, Europe:
230000+ death projection for 1st of December

59% of the European population are yet fully vaccinated (262 Million).

3/4th of medical European workers are vaccinated on average, albeit with a ratio as low as 10% in some countries.

(in Fr)

In Los Angeles, price for admission at nation’s second-largest school district is a negative covid test — every single week

That's basically what the whole of the UK was doing for the last term before the summer break. I wouldn't call it a 'public health experiment' so much as basic common sense. It goes nicely together with:

Another two here as well. I have to wonder how many avoidable deaths we have to see before some of these people get the message, or are they too far gone in some cases.

Staffordshire Covid sceptic Marcus Birks dies in hospital https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-58376709

There was a story from the US last week I think which said that there are a lot of anti vaxers there in hopsital with covid are refusing to accept they have covid......

Though these new variants appear they seem to be crushed out of existence by Delta. I wonder if it will crush all the other major variants like Alpha, Beta and Gamma.
A new coronavirus variant that was first detected in South Africa in May does not appear to be spreading, the World Health Organisation said on Tuesday, adding it was monitoring the variant as the virus evolves.

“It does not appear to be increasing in circulation,” WHO spokesperson Margaret Harris told a U.N. briefing, adding the variant labelled C.1.2. was not currently classified as a “variant of concern” by the U.N. health agency.

Yes now anti-vaxxers are attacking a 17 year old girl who was seriously ill with COVID and has been left with serious medical conditions. I wonder if she would have still been here if not for already having had her first dose of vaccination.

Though these new variants appear they seem to be crushed out of existence by Delta. I wonder if it will crush all the other major variants like Alpha, Beta and Gamma.
On the other hand, the World Health Organisation's reliability is quite in question these days.
I think it would make the pharmacy and medical professions easier in the longer term if Delta did remove other variants and Covid coalesced around the one strain even if that kept evolving.

It is gratifying to note that the grand tradition of lies, damned lies and statistics is alive and well in Tallahassee.

One weird side effect of that criminal idiocy is that, there are so many patients in life support in Florida, the state is lacking LOX for... rockets. I kid you not.
(even as a space nerd, of course I would say: human lives matters more than rockets, there is no question about it).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.