Convair WS125A ASM

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
I don't have much on this, and the presumably equivalent missile shown hanging under the wings of the NX-2 look a bit different. This version was to be launched off the back of the Model 23 nuclear powered supersonic seaplane.

Attachments

• ws125a.gif
    ws125a.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 151
I think that Weapon System 125A concerned the whole NX-2 program (Convair Model 25), not just the missile... so if this is described as the WS-125A missile, chances are it actually reads as "missile planned for the NX-2 program".

Orionblamblam said:
I don't have much on this, and the presumably equivalent missile shown hanging under the wings of the NX-2 look a bit different. This version was to be launched off the back of the Model 23 nuclear powered supersonic seaplane.

I look at that and can't help but wonder if Vought had any competitors for the airframe portion of Project Pluto (SLAM).

Orionblamblam said:
It was a common enough sort of configuration at the time.

The configuration is what got me wondering but I don't remember ever hearing if there were other contractors that submitted proposals for SLAM.

Yes, there were, there was a fairly complete coverage by AW&ST on SLAM/Pluto back then, even though no images. SLAM was a known program, not an entirely "black" effort, as was mistakenly hinted when some parts of it were declassified in the early 90s. I don't remember all competitors listed right now (this evening I'll check my copy) but Convair was surely in, and perhaps Martin.

Yes, that's a familiar planform.

AGM-28.gif