Convair gunship

verner

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Anybody have any pics or anything on the Convair/gunship that was attempted before the "Spooky"?

Not a photo of the whole aircraft, but only of the gun installation:
(from Sqadron/Signal "Gunships" by Larry Davis)

Attachments

• C-131_gunship.jpg
    C-131_gunship.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 287
IIRC, consideration was also given to using C-97s at a very early stage in the program. Anyone have any further material?

I have a book at home from the '60s. It's regarding the gunship program. The title is HUGE, that's why I don't remember it! Anyway, it says the C-97, C-118, C-131, P-2 & C-130 were considered. The C-97, IIRC, was the final thought, except after converting, maybe even including trading the R-4360s for turbo-props, the C-130 was more cost effective. Wings of Fame magazine had an article several years ago on the USAF's 'gunboat project'. I think it had some similar details as well. I also have another book on gunships, I think that's the title in fact, that has good info on the various a/c. It may have something regarding the C-97. I may be able to get my hands on it pretty easily.

Clioman said:
IIRC, consideration was also given to using C-97s at a very early stage in the program. Anyone have any further material?

C-119 Flying Boxcar also:
http://www2.hurlburt.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3426

As the AC-119 Shadow. This one is parked outside the main gate of Hurlburt Field Florida.
(Right next to my wife's favorite bird, the "Cessna-with-an-Attitude" O2-A Skymaster:
http://www2.hurlburt.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3432
Though it looks like they have changed configuration since the last time we saw it the wings were end-to-end rocket pods :) )

Randy

frank said:
I have a book at home from the '60s. It's regarding the gunship program. The title is HUGE, that's why I don't remember it! Anyway, it says the C-97, C-118, C-131, P-2 & C-130 were considered. ...

Could it be this?

Development and Deployment of Fixed-Wing Gunships 1962-1972: United States in Southeast Asia Series

by Jack S. Ballard,
Office of Air Force History, 1982

C-118 and C-97 are also mentioned in:

GUNSHIPS: The Story of Spooky, Shadow, Stinger, and Spectre
by Wayne Mutza

Most likely, indeed, on both!

sbaumeler said:
frank said:
I have a book at home from the '60s. It's regarding the gunship program. The title is HUGE, that's why I don't remember it! Anyway, it says the C-97, C-118, C-131, P-2 & C-130 were considered. ...

Could it be this?

Development and Deployment of Fixed-Wing Gunships 1962-1972: United States in Southeast Asia Series

by Jack S. Ballard,
Office of Air Force History, 1982

C-118 and C-97 are also mentioned in:

GUNSHIPS: The Story of Spooky, Shadow, Stinger, and Spectre
by Wayne Mutza

Convair C-131B #53-7820, used in Project Tailchaser, was sent to Military Aircraft Storage & Disposition Center (MASDC) Davis-Mothan, AFB on June 23, 1976, and received CS0045 as its number. It then was decomissioned and registered as N46965. A trace of that tail number later ends up on a Lockheed C-130 (L-100-300) with Sothern Air Transport, which crashes during pilot training.

Eglin AFB, at the Armaments Museum has a C-131B #53-7821 (one digit off) on display (recently pulled for refurbishment). This aircraft was used for systems test with Wright Patterson. No knowledge if this was used in conjunction with Proj. Tailchaser.