• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US Army Sea King Gunship.

RyanCrierie

Crazy Researcher
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
851
Reaction score
162
Website
www.alternatewars.com
Got a book from my library recently on US army aircraft since 1947; and it mentions that the army briefly considered using the Sea King as a gunship base for the AAFS program (AH-56), since it was the fastest rotorcraft at the time.
 

frank

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
617
Reaction score
19
Wouldn't that be the S-67 Blackhawk?

RyanCrierie said:
Got a book from my library recently on US army aircraft since 1947; and it mentions that the army briefly considered using the Sea King as a gunship base for the AAFS program (AH-56), since it was the fastest rotorcraft at the time.
 

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
2,775
Reaction score
1,280
frank said:
Wouldn't that be the S-67 Blackhawk?

RyanCrierie said:
Got a book from my library recently on US army aircraft since 1947; and it mentions that the army briefly considered using the Sea King as a gunship base for the AAFS program (AH-56), since it was the fastest rotorcraft at the time.

According to All the World's Rotorcraft, a proposed, straightforward Sea King gunship adaptation preceded the S-67.

"When the AH-56A failed to live up to expectations, Sikorsky first offered an intermediate aircraft, consisting of an armed version of the S-61, then designed a simplified AAFSS using the maximum number of components from the S-61. The result was the S-67 Blackhawk which appeared in 1970."

http://avia.russian.ee/helicopters_eng/sik_s-67.php
 

frank

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
617
Reaction score
19
Yeah, ISTR the Navy had an armed version of the SH-3, having some minigun turrets or something. They weren't really satisfied, IIRC. Maybe it was based on it.


Apophenia said:
frank said:
Wouldn't that be the S-67 Blackhawk?

RyanCrierie said:
Got a book from my library recently on US army aircraft since 1947; and it mentions that the army briefly considered using the Sea King as a gunship base for the AAFS program (AH-56), since it was the fastest rotorcraft at the time.

According to All the World's Rotorcraft, a proposed, straightforward Sea King gunship adaptation preceded the S-67.

"When the AH-56A failed to live up to expectations, Sikorsky first offered an intermediate aircraft, consisting of an armed version of the S-61, then designed a simplified AAFSS using the maximum number of components from the S-61. The result was the S-67 Blackhawk which appeared in 1970."

http://avia.russian.ee/helicopters_eng/sik_s-67.php
 

Rickshaw

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
2,072
Reaction score
177
Didn't the US military also trial the Kaman Seasprite as a gunship in the 1960s? I seem to remember a minigun/grenadelauncher turret on one in some book or other.
 

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,304
Reaction score
1,322
The HH-3A was fitted experimenally with two Minigun barbettes for
self-protection, as CSAR heli. (photo from Squadron Signal N°150).
The Kaman UH-2 intended as a tactical escort heli, with armament
on the stub wings and fixed nose mounted 7,62 mm machine guns
and even got an Army name : The Tomahawk.
(from Aviation Week March 1964)
 

Attachments

  • HH-3A.JPG
    HH-3A.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 685
  • Kaman-UH-2-escort.JPG
    Kaman-UH-2-escort.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 726

RyanCrierie

Crazy Researcher
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
851
Reaction score
162
Website
www.alternatewars.com
220~ UH-2 Tomahawks were ordered, but after JFK was shot, the order was cancelled in favor of UH-1s.......which were made in Texas; which was where Johnson was from... :-\
 

frank

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
617
Reaction score
19
Hmm. Yet another conspiracy theory! Bell Helicopters was behind the assassination, knowing that Johnson would replace Kennedy & therefore both Bell & Johnson being Texans, Bell would get the orders instead of Kaman........ Yeah, that's it!



RyanCrierie said:
220~ UH-2 Tomahawks were ordered, but after JFK was shot, the order was cancelled in favor of UH-1s.......which were made in Texas; which was where Johnson was from... :-\
 

Evil Flower

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
223
Reaction score
4
They also tested a minigun turret on the Kaman helicopter. There's a pic somewhere in one of my books.
 

Cobrapilot

It's not a Cobra, but would have been fun to fly!
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
8
There is a facebook group page devoted to the S-67 Blackhawk attack helicopter. Numerous photos, most of which I have never seen before and some commentary from One of the Sikorsky test pilots
 

iverson

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
432
Reaction score
290
They also tested a minigun turret on the Kaman helicopter. There's a pic somewhere in one of my books.
I believe that the turret was also a proposed CSAR modification for operation from destroyers. But the Navy preferred pintle-mounted M-60s. Can't recall where I read that.
 

iverson

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
432
Reaction score
290

Similar threads

Top