Convair GEBO B-36 Delta Parasite bomber

Check out this article at RetroMechanix.com presenting Convair Generalized Supersonic Bomber (GEBO) II Studies of 1951:

7000273130_feb2824e6f_o.jpg

The GEBO II was a carrier-parasite composite aircraft using a B-36 carrier airplane and a partially expendable supersonic bomber as the parasite; the concept would be eventually abandoned in favor of a more conventional design which became the B-58 Hustler. The article reproduces excerpts of the originals reports, along with 63 drawings and illustrations of the various configurations studied.

-Jared

Among the documents recently declassified by the U.S. Air Force is a Briefing on Supersonic Intercontinental Bombing which describes a project to connect three B-36 bombers by the wingtip and have them carry each a small supersonic bomber. The purpose of this configuration was to obtain a weapons system "capable of delivering an atomic bomb on the Russian industrial area within a radius of 4500 nautical miles from bases within the continental United States in a non-stop flight." (more details in this fascinating document).

The small supersonic bomber echoes the "Super Hustler" series of designs but is unlike any configuration I've seen. Any idea where exactly it fits in the design chronology?

Attachments

• exhibitB.jpg
    exhibitB.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 1,509
  • exhibitC.jpg
    exhibitC.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,463
I'd missed the B-36 troika first time around. That must rank in the Top 5 Batsh** Crazy Projects Ever Formally Briefed. Can you imagine presenting that to LeMay?

How would this thing land? Or take off? Using three parallel runways? ;D

I think the plan was that they would take off separately and join up in flight. This had been accomplished between F-84s and B-29s (project Tom-Tom and wingtip refueling trials) but might have been more of a challenge with a trio of B-36's.

LowObservable said:
I'd missed the B-36 troika first time around. That must rank in the Top 5 Batsh** Crazy Projects Ever Formally Briefed. Can you imagine presenting that to LeMay?

Pluto still takes first prize. Okay, well, maybe second, behind militarized Orions.

Can you imagine presenting that to LeMay?
And we all know how LeMay felt about three-ship formations...

cheers,
Robin.

Pem Tech said:
So, what was the point of connecting the aircraft at the wingtips?
It looks like each B-36 had a bomber on board, so it couldn't have been to transport fuel...
Increasing the effective aspect ratio of the B-36s wings and thus extending the range.

sienar said:
Pem Tech said:
So, what was the point of connecting the aircraft at the wingtips?
It looks like each B-36 had a bomber on board, so it couldn't have been to transport fuel...
Increasing the effective aspect ratio of the B-36s wings and thus extending the range.

There was probably also a staging aspect to the concept, where the bomber component would be topped off from the fuel tank components before they detached and began their return trip.