Convair 201

Evil Flower

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
On the Convair 200/201, is the canard fixed or moveable? The concept art suggests Viggen-like flaps but the Secret Projects book states that Convair claimed it would be a destabilized CCV platform. Doesn't CCV require moving canard surfaces or have I got terms confused?

Just so we can compare to the original design, here's a collage of the images I had of the Convair Model 201, which was a CTOL variant of the Model 200 V/STOL.

Attachments

• convair201collage.jpg
    convair201collage.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 832
Mine is set up with an all-moving canard. I know the pic you posted has Viggen-like flaps but none of the other drawings seem to have them. Not sure here which configuration is the correct one. Also I've always thought the 4 hardpoints of which only 2 have any sort of SAHM/A2G capability is a bit lacklustre. Since they also offered this design as the GD 218 for VFAX competition that spawned F/A-18, is it fair to assume some kind of additional underwing hardpoints were planned?

Most of the artwork shows definite flaps - this is not incompatible with CCV. e.g.

http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/AIAA96-4058.pdf

The goal of CCV design was to improve aircraft performance through the use of active control. CCV concepts under study at the time included: improved handling qualities, flight envelope limiting, relaxed static stability, gust alleviation, maneuver load control, and active structural mode control.

Modern airliners benefit from CCV without canards at all. I expect the Model 200/201 was a "relaxed static stability" design which used computer controlled FBW active controls to keep the aircraft stable. We can speculate that it was probably in the lower end of unstable - say 5-10% not 35% like X-29 - due to the lack of large, all-moving canard surfaces - but that is really just speculation on my part.

So they'd act just like flaps with pitch control by the elevons or like canard mounted flap/elevators, if such a combination can exist?

Also, I haven't quite figured out if the wing is supposed to be slatted or not.

Triton said:
This topic should be moved from the "Postwar Aircraft Projects" section to the "Scale Modelling, CGI and Profiles" section.

Thought that's where it was. Has it been moved by a mod, or am I getting old?

Nothing to see... move along...

;D

(I merged the topic with a post from another topic and the merged topic was placed in the wrong forum)

Stargazer2006 said:
Triton said:
This topic should be moved from the "Postwar Aircraft Projects" section to the "Scale Modelling, CGI and Profiles" section.

Thought that's where it was. Has it been moved by a mod, or am I getting old?

...Triton just got conbefuddled, as there's no notice on the PAP forum of the post being moved.

thefrecklepuny said:
Any 3 views of this? Looks like a sensible fighter design to me.

For the 70's it was. Between the 200A and 201 it could have been an earlier (albeit far less capable) JSF.

thefrecklepuny said:
Any 3 views of this? Looks like a sensible fighter design to me.

There is a topic somewhere on this design, but allow me to offer here two reworked (enhanced) images. Not very large but it's all I could find.

Attachments

• Convair 200 series.jpg
    Convair 200 series.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 475
  • GD-200 enhanced.jpg
    GD-200 enhanced.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 414
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103.0/highlight,convair+201.html

index.php

index.php

index.php

On the subject of weapons carriage, I did take some artistic liberty with the hardpoints. Tony Buttler's American Secret Projects book mentions that the 200A was supposed to carry 2 Harpoons or bombs etc in place of the AIM-7's. However mounting twin pylons (The Sparrows are obviously semi-recessed so other stores won't fit without a pylon) there simply looks flat out wrong IMO so I've added a centerline station that can take a droptank or bombrack. Since this later iteration has had it's AIM-9 underwing stations moved to the wingtips, I decided it doesn't make sense to delete the underwing hardpoints so I've retained those for varying kinds of weapons including Harpoons, GBU's etc.

Given that this was a VFAX contender as well, had it been adopted I presume one of the Sparrow recesses would be used for mounting a lantirn system as on the F-18.

So here are the schemes I've been bothered to paint so far:

Attachments

• 201_VF-31.jpg
    201_VF-31.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 431
  • 201_VF-84.jpg
    201_VF-84.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 201_VF-111.jpg
    201_VF-111.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 201_VF-161.jpg
    201_VF-161.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 226
I see now I got the intake geometry completely wrong. How embarrassing!

Nothing that cannot be fixed, however...

Evil Flower said:
So here are the schemes I've been bothered to paint so far:

Hey love your 'what if' profiles Evil Flower!! :p

Any chance of a series of these (in both single & two seat variants!!)?
Say RAN, RN and French navy colours and markings ;D

Regards
Pioneer

Some great Convair 201 what-if illustrations here:
http://secure.simmarket.com/razbam-convair-fa-201-kestrel.phtml

Also a good view;

http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/product.php?productid=218981

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 359