Cone-shaped antennas on Carrier islands

observer144

Just observing
Reaction score
When I was younger, I used to love making model ships. The modern aircraft carriers often had cone-shaped protuberances on places like the island, pointed horizontally. In the below example, they are the 2 cones below the three-sided camera room.

What are these?

Newer pictures show similar structures but without the cone (covering?), such as above the "8" on the Nimitz.

Attachments

• Independence-island-structure.jpg
    Independence-island-structure.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 96
  • Nimitz-modern-island.jpg
    Nimitz-modern-island.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 97
When I was younger, I used to love making model ships. The modern aircraft carriers often had cone-shaped protuberances on places like the island, pointed horizontally. In the below example, they are the 2 cones below the three-sided camera room.

What are these?

Newer pictures show similar structures but without the cone (covering?), such as above the "8" on the Nimitz.
In Norman Friedman's US Aircraft Carriers the similar conical antennas are described as "Pgasir-90" Ship-to-Air radio antennas.

What are these?

In Norman Friedman's US Aircraft Carriers the similar conical antennas are described as "Phasor-90" Ship-to-Air radio antennas.

D'oh, I completely forgot to check Friedman! Page 278 for anyone else who was curious about the Phasor-90 (AN/SRA-33). Early supercarriers appeared to use the TED/AN/URR-13 at the flight deck edges (pg 258).