Classified Challenger tank specs leaked online for videogame

stealthflanker

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

A user has posted a classified document online relating to the Challenger 2 in order to improve the accuracy of the design of the tank in combat game ‘War Thunder’.​

A gamer identifying as Challenger 2 commander has posted a classified document online in order to improve the accuracy of the design of the tank in the game ‘War Thunder’.

War Thunder is a vehicular combat multiplayer video game developed and published by Gaijin Entertainment. Despite the fact that Gaijin Entertainment lists itself as a Cyprus-based studio, it was originally founded in Moscow, Russia, where it still has offices today.

So, what happened?​

A user identifying as a Challenger 2 commander posted specific excerpts from a Challenger 2 AESP (Army Equipment Support Publication, sort of like a user manual) to show game developers that they “didn’t model it correctly”.

The user identifies as a make in Tidworth with a history of “Tanks & AFV’s, CR2 Tank Commander, AFV Instr, D&M Instr, Gunnery Instr, Former ATDU”. It should be noted that Tidworth is home to the Royal Tank Regiment who operate Challenger 2 tanks.

Anyway, it is understood that the excerpts from the document had their ‘UK RESTRICTED’ label crossed out and a stamp of ‘UNCLASSIFIED’ added, as well as having various parts fully blanked. One forum user remarked that “the cover for instance had basically everything except CHALLENGER 2 blacked out”.

The forum user posted the following alongside the now removed AESP in an effort to have an issue with the in-game design of the vehicle rectified.

Gaijin refused to deal with the apparently still classified documents. Saying through through their community manager:

“Before any discussion, handling or bug reports are even made, proof of this documents declassification will be required as well as where it was sourced form. If it is declassified, it should be available to the public. Last time such a document was shared that was claimed to be “unclassified” it was in fact still classified and was confirmed that it should never have been shared. We make it very clear that we will not handle any source material unless it is publically available and fully declassified with the rights to prove that.”

Additionally, a forum moderator posted:

“We have written confirmation from MoD that this document remains classified. By continuing to disseminate it you are in violation of the Official Secrets Act as stated by the warning on the cover of the document, an offence which can carry up to a 14 year prison sentence if prosecuted. Of this you are already aware, as a service person you have signed a declaration that you understand the act and what actions it compels you to take. Every time you post this you place us (International representatives of Gaijin), especially any UK citizens, in hot water as the warning so helpfully states that unauthorised retention of a protected document is an offence.”

It’s not yet clear what happened – was the clearance faked or was it given by the wrong people? We’ll update htis article when we know more.

Feelsbad. because despite any potential improvements that can be brought on the game from that data. it is afterall a classified information.

Nowadays game are i would say very realistic in graphics and simulating physical fields (e.g gravity, air resistence etc) But some fields like RCS are not yet to be simulated in any games as far as i know due to complexity of RCS phenomenon, and so does Infra Red signatures. And people demands more realisms from the game.

It's at that im kinda feel torn apart, like i understand that not everything needs to be "as real as it is" but at the same time people demanding realism which well i would say "beyond their pay grade" and when the information is made available they seems not really ready for it.

I could see where he was going with this. A distraught young tank commander who sees the tank he loves so much perform badly in one of his favourite games. It is a shame, he must have known what he was doing, but I guess it also shows his desperation. It pains me.

That doesn't take away from the fact it's wrong, but it still breaks my heart.

What an epic snafu. I'm glad I never got into milsims, particularly ones as sweaty as War Thunder.

We must not allow slavic psyops for sekrit documents to succeed. We must maneuver through memetic space offer an alternative locus of focus by developing pro-social alternatives against authoritarian information controlled by hostile regimes. As such government cyber command need a program to invest in publicly consumed electronic medias!

In a world where most defense interested persons is informed and influenced by simulation media, control of this locus shall enable superior OODA loop in the civil-government-procurement loop causing collapse of opposition military-industrial stability and ability to contest national interests.~~~~~~

:D

qju5nm02f1s71.jpg

But what if the Russians made such a game on purpose so that the NATO military would start leaking secret information? Soon in "War Thunder" there will probably be a game mode with a real map of Europe, and offended players will say that "we have not one warehouse here, but three, but here we actually have tanks, here are the documents."
* laughter of a KGB major in the background *

Whil I am still free and not in a rubber, I mean a secure cell in a secret military prison in Colchester, I mean on the dark the of the moon(ing jester). Chieftain had a laser too and sometimes it worked. Admittedly it did give the range to a target we knew to be 1100M as about two feet sometimes but that was the top secret snafu project that turned the prisms backwards. Either that or it told us how far the rain drops were in front of the unit. We cooked up a lot of fake news over that, and some caramel from condensed milk. Until the BV xploded some of the tins. See, something else the Russians did not know was important.

Funny how our enemy s don't even have to try to get our secrets.
they are handed to them.

Does anyone seriously expect that sort of paperwork to get THAT low in the food chain?

Not a chance.