bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Massive rocket base to be built

The world's largest design, production and testing base for rockets is being built in Tianjin, Liang Xiaohong, deputy head of the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology, said Thursday. The first phase of the rocket industrial base in Tianjin's Binhai New Area will be completed within the year. Rocket parts will be designed, manufactured, assembled and tested at the base, Liang told the Xinhua News Agency. Twenty of the 22 plants have been completed, and some of them are ready for operation. The base is designed to meet China's growing demand in space technology research and development for the next 30 to 50 years, he added. By integrating the industrial chain, the base will be able to produce a whole spectrum of rockets of different sizes and types for China's lunar probe project, space station and other projects, he said. China's new rockets, including Long March IV, will be designed and manufactured in the 200-hectare base, he said. Liang also said the research and development of China's new generation of carrier rockets, Long March V, were going according to plan, and expected to catch up with the US Delta-4H rockets in payload capacity. With a maximum low Earth-orbit payload capacity of 25 tons and high Earth-orbit payload capacity of 14 tons, Long March V rockets would reach the world top level in payload capacity, said Liang. Long March V rockets are designed for missions following the country's manned space program and lunar exploration program, said Liang, also a member of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).

Meanwhile, the unmanned space module Tiangong-1 that China plans to launch this year will be sent into space by a modified Long March II-F carrier rocket, Liang said. The 8.5-ton Tiangong-1 is expected to be launched in the second half of this year to perform the nation's first space docking. It will dock with the unmanned Shenzhou-8 spacecraft, which will be launched two months after Tiangong-1. "Both Tiangong-1 and Shenzhou-8 will be launched by a Long March II-F carrier rocket," said Liang. Researchers have made nearly 170 technological modifications to the original Long March II-F model, Liang said. The Long-March II-F rocket has successfully sent seven spaceships into space.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The US has cut NASA's budget and the next moon mission projects but wants to pump $65 billion into high speed rail. WHAT???????? How about pump that money into NASA and other "future" 21st century technologies not a "faster" 19th century technology.

How many trillions have gone to NASA? and look where we are at at this moment.

It just seems we should have more than we do now and be farther along than anyone else, but were not.

And when i mean farther along i mean breakthroughs in energy systems and the like, civilian applications for our economy, new power devices, a follow on to the shuttle, and already being on the moon and further before anyone else, including China.

I kind of lost faith in NASA personally. To much bureaucracy, maybe even waste and fraud.

kcran567 said:
How many trillions have gone to NASA?

Less than 0.5.

I kind of lost faith in NASA personally. To much bureaucracy, maybe even waste and fraud.

While the NASA bureaucracy has its share of blame for NASA not having done squat, the larger share of the blame goes to programs that actually have consumed trillions of dollars, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and so on. NASA budget got whacked by the Great Society, and it stayed whacked.

Not to derail the thread, but:

1. The great society was whacked by the cost of the Vietnam war.

2. Nasa had major budget cuts after we landed on the moon. We beat the soviets, and since they were down for good why bother?

As I said in other threads: for now China has the will and the resources to pursue this kind of massive undertakings. The emphasis is on the " for now" part of that sentence.
Also very important, China's will to close a perceived technological gap with the west and thus become a party to be reconned with all over. What worries me are the possible advances on all fronts...
Still, China is now a spacefaring nation, and did so using technology not unlike that developed 30 years ago. I have no doubt this will get them to the moon and back, but I doubt the will or resources will be there to stay there permanently with so many parallel developments.

As someone who consumed avidly futuristic visions of spaceflight from 1963 onwards I am underwhelmed by the fact that the US, Russia, Europe and China as the leading space powers are still using the same basic approach to spaceflight as was being done in the 1960s.. Chemical rockets sending manned capsules or satellites into space.