Chile buys three Boeing E-3D Sentry aircraft from UK

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
3964346842_da4ecf14ee_h.jpg

The Chilean Air Force (FACh) has purchased three Boeing E-3D Sentry airborne early warning Mk 1 (AEW1) aircraft from the UK Royal Air Force (RAF) for an undisclosed amount, FACh sources told Janes .

The aircraft, one of which will be used for spare parts, will replace the FACh's single Boeing 707-385C that was modified in Israel for AEW missions, called IAI Phalcon in Israel and Cóndor in Chile.

The RAF retired the last of its E-3D in 2021, when the FACh started negotiations to buy three. A source told Janes that crews and technicians were sent to the UK in late 2021 to inspect the aircraft and create training courses on their operation. The E-3Ds could fly to Chile this year, the source added.

The 707 Cóndor is near the end of its operational life. Built in 1965 it served as Boeing's demonstrator and testbed before being sold in 1969 to LAN Chile airline and then to the FACh in 1990.

3964346842_da4ecf14ee_h.jpg

The Chilean Air Force (FACh) has purchased three Boeing E-3D Sentry airborne early warning Mk 1 (AEW1) aircraft from the UK Royal Air Force (RAF) for an undisclosed amount, FACh sources told Janes .

The aircraft, one of which will be used for spare parts, will replace the FACh's single Boeing 707-385C that was modified in Israel for AEW missions, called IAI Phalcon in Israel and Cóndor in Chile.

The RAF retired the last of its E-3D in 2021, when the FACh started negotiations to buy three. A source told Janes that crews and technicians were sent to the UK in late 2021 to inspect the aircraft and create training courses on their operation. The E-3Ds could fly to Chile this year, the source added.

The 707 Cóndor is near the end of its operational life. Built in 1965 it served as Boeing's demonstrator and testbed before being sold in 1969 to LAN Chile airline and then to the FACh in 1990.

So what will the Chilean Air Force do with the former RAF Sentry AWACS now? Upgrade them? I thought the reason that the RAF got rid of the Sentry's was that they were too expensive to be upgraded beyond the capability that the RAF had already with them, that was one of the reasons given that the RAF needed the more capable E-7 Wedgetail. Good luck to the Chilean Air Force in getting them ready for service.

The RAF's seven E-3Ds were named after the dwarfs from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. ZH101 was ‘Doc’, ZH102 ‘Dopey’, ZH103 ‘Happy’, ZH104 ‘Sleepy’, ZH105 ‘Sneezy’, ZH106 ‘Grumpy’ and ZH107 ‘Bashful’. I wonder which three the Chileans will get?

on stadium tier of argentina's football fans a sense of despond, even there is this (google translate of comment section)

The AWACS had an upgrade in 2018 for missions in Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, and they were given software to connect to Skynet, the British Military Satellite Network. These planes for Latin America are optimal, and the UK transfers them to Chile to cover the South Atlantic and the Falklands. since for sure any information they get from movements of planes or troops etc will be informed and shared with the United Kingdom by the Chileans

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised, seems a lot of ex-Brit stuff heads for South America.
Doubtless there is nothing wrong with the E-3D and its systems, Chile doesn't face quite the same kind of level of adversarial threat, whether these aircraft have that much service life left in them is open to question, they are 20 years old after all (though Chile's 707 seems to have had a very long life!). Presumably the US were ok with the sale too.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about airframe life. Plenty of Boeing 4-pipers still about. The USAF hasn't even green-lighted an AWACS replacement yet and compared to their KC-135 cousins, the E-3s are still sprogs! I have no doubt the mission systems are on the tired side though. I'm glad they are going to a good home (two of them anyway). The Sentries should last long enough for the Chileans to buy some early block Wedgetails in a decade and a bit!

on stadium tier of argentina's football fans a sense of despond, even there is this (google translate of comment section)

The AWACS had an upgrade in 2018 for missions in Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, and they were given software to connect to Skynet, the British Military Satellite Network. These planes for Latin America are optimal, and the UK transfers them to Chile to cover the South Atlantic and the Falklands. since for sure any information they get from movements of planes or troops etc will be informed and shared with the United Kingdom by the Chileans

Make tons of sense, as back in the Falklands days Chile also (nearly) went to war with Argentina. No idea what is the present day relationship between these two, probably much, much apeased in comparison.

1/ I'm wondering if the United States was consulted on the transfer of such technology?

2/ I'm surprised that Chile would take on such a maintenance intense aircraft.

3/ I'm surprised that Chile wouldn't have considered a more cost effective smaller and state-of-the-art AEW platform like the GlabalEye or the likes, on crew-size alone.

Regards
Pioneer

The advantage of this giant dish holding a full size antenna might serve better Chile maritime domain defense ambitions.

1642764508746.jpeg

Then, when it comes to maintenance, the manpower cost's paradigm is different and certainly makes for more room past what an European nation is ready to spend.

Last edited:
The advantage of this giant dish holding a full size antenna might serve better Chile maritime domain defense ambitions.

View attachment 672516

Then, when it comes to maintenance, the manpower cost's paradigm is different and certainly makes for more room past what an European nation is ready to spend.
Yes!
Several South American nations are having problems with Chinese fishing vessels shutting off their transponders and fishing in areas where they are not licensed.

Not entirely impossible:-

1642786987559.png

1/ I'm wondering if the United States was consulted on the transfer of such technology?
They would have had to given the ITAR implications. I can't recall for certain but I presume the aircraft were originally acquired under a FMS deal so there would be need for TPRs etc to be completed.
Well they have had their EL/M-2075 Phalcon for the best part of 3 decades so they do have some experience.

EB-707_Condor%2C_Chilean_Air_Force_%28FACh%29_v2.jpg

3/ I'm surprised that Chile wouldn't have considered a more cost effective smaller and state-of-the-art AEW platform like the GlabalEye or the likes, on crew-size alone.
Maybe the price/capability was right...

I'm sure the price would have been good, who else is flogging second-hand AEW aircraft?
Short of buying new or doing some major conversion work there is no alternative.

I still wonder what will happen to the rest of the Sentry's? I hope that they go to another country if Chile does not want to buy more, it would be sad if they go to the scrap yard.

I still wonder what will happen to the rest of the Sentry's? I hope that they go to another country if Chile does not want to buy more, it would be sad if they go to the scrap yard.
France should buy some of them. It's not possible for an air force to have too many AWACS.

ZH105 was retired back in 2009 and stripped for spares and was in use as a Ground Instruction airframe. ZH102 and ZH107 were withdrawn from use in 2019. All were put up for scrap in Dec 2020.
ZH104 was sold to the USN in 2020 as a flight trainer for the E-6B fleet

That only left ZH101, ZH103 and ZH106 operational until Aug last year. They are presumably now the aircraft being sold to Chile.

ZH105 was retired back in 2009 and stripped for spares and was in use as a Ground Instruction airframe. ZH102 and ZH107 were withdrawn from use in 2019. All were put up for scrap in Dec 2020.
ZH104 was sold to the USN in 2020 as a flight trainer for the E-6B fleet

That only left ZH101, ZH103 and ZH106 operational until Aug last year. They are presumably now the aircraft being sold to Chile.

So that means that there is no more ex-RAF E-3D's now beyond the ones that are being sold to Chile, sad that ZH102 and ZH107 were scrapped in December 2020. :(

Wonder if the Chileans got them near scrap prices?
There was some disquiet that the Sentinels have been sold to the US as spares airframes rather than being scrapped (the MoD had said they would be sold as scrap).

Makes some sense indeed.

Were the radars and avionics removed, by the way ? an AWACS radar is one hell of an expensive thing. I mean: France, NATO, the Saudis, USAF probably wanted the spares. No ?

707 airframes... not so much.

The new left wing government in Santiago may yet scupper the whole deal, though.

I very much doubt. Given the origins of the new president, proudly putting forward his native lineage from the South of the country (Punta Arenas), a region where the fishery is paramount to the local economy and attachment to nature as an heritage is strong, something supported fully by his electorate, this decision sounds very much in line with this.

Last edited:
They would have had to given the ITAR implications. I can't recall for certain but I presume the aircraft were originally acquired under a FMS deal so there would be need for TPRs etc to be completed.
Well they have had their EL/M-2075 Phalcon for the best part of 3 decades so they do have some experience.

EB-707_Condor%2C_Chilean_Air_Force_%28FACh%29_v2.jpg

Maybe the price/capability was right...

In another forum, somebody posted this:

" It is important to mention that the Phalcon AWACS rarely flies, is too expensive, a white elaphant. "

Obviously Phalcon was a one-shot for Chile; when AWACS has a much larger production run and many users.
This said, if Chile was unable to support ONE 707-AEW platform, buying THREE is not exactly reassuring...

It's not possible for an air force to have too many AWACS.
Very true, within reason. We're getting three (3!) E-7s - one for in the air, one that'll have gone tech and one being upgraded.

Please write to:
Rt Hon Ben Wallace MP
MoD
Whitehall
London

While you have his ear, tell him to make sure they get renamed Iolaire*, Wedgetail sounds like something that happens on rugby club booze-ups.

Chris

*Gaelic name for the white-tailed sea eagle, no wedgetail eagles in the wild in the UK.

Obviously Phalcon was a one-shot for Chile; when AWACS has a much larger production run and many users.
This said, if Chile was unable to support ONE 707-AEW platform, buying THREE is not exactly reassuring...
The plan is that one will be for spares to keep the other two flying. Question is, how long will that last.

The plan is that one will be for spares to keep the other two flying. Question is, how long will that last.

Not that long if it is only one airframe that they are going to use for spares. Unless Boeing could step in and offer spare parts once the third aircraft has been cannibalised.

Unless you work on 3 so as to get at least 1 in the sky

Keep in mind this particular 707 is still powered by the original JT3D engines has three radar arrays to maintain instead of one as in the E-3.

I was at RAF Waddington a week ago when the Chilean Contingent turned up with senior brass and new bunch of crews to be trained on the Sentry so here are my photos of the FACH Boing 767 last Wednesday.

cheers

Attachments

• FCC31A06-9519-4334-B45F-5FEC603C6E82.jpeg
    FCC31A06-9519-4334-B45F-5FEC603C6E82.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 31
  • C8834DB4-F459-467A-8106-8732017D0599.jpeg
    C8834DB4-F459-467A-8106-8732017D0599.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 31
  • AF1C1C32-7AE2-4062-91AE-494EE79C8A89.jpeg
    AF1C1C32-7AE2-4062-91AE-494EE79C8A89.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 27
Estuve en RAF Waddington hace una semana cuando el contingente chileno apareció con altos mandos y un nuevo grupo de tripulaciones para ser perturbaciones en el Sentry, así que aquí están mis fotos del FACH Boing 767 el miércoles pasado.

salud
hola londres

Hello from South London, thanks for the photos, they are spectacular, the fantastic relationship between Chile and the UK is long-standing, from the time of the Spanish conquest and the colonial era, since the UK always helped us to become independent at that time of the tyranny of the Spanish crown, we never forget it, also after the centuries have passed we continue with friendship, trade and support in all order, when the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands (British Overseas Territory) originated Chile I do not doubt it not a moment to give logistical support, radar and support in every way since years before they also wanted to invade Chile and seize 3 islands ( Lenox, Nueva, Picton ) and the Beagle Channel, which would give them the coveted passage to the ocean peaceful, Queen Isabel failed in a verdict giving the territory to Chile and the Argentines could not bear it, not knowing what her majesty had decided, they wanted to invade us, but they could not, we were prepared s and waiting for them, they did not come, and decided to seize the Falkland Islands, where only 20 brave soldiers of the Roya Navy, guarded, now I want you to understand why the UK gives Chile a symbolic price for these Planes, and we are comrades in the navy, since the navy was formed by Sir Lord Cockrane captain of sea and war sent by UK to give us our Freedom! .. we remember it now and always!

Hello, I'm going to tell you that we have a YouTube channel called Vulcan Military, which is focused on the topic of the Sentry and purchases and military alliances with the UK, it would be a pleasure for us to have someone from this forum who can go to the channel and have a conversation with us live on our YouTube channel, https://youtube.com/channel/UCg8ocY_vEoQpZUpw83ybIjQ

Thanks you from South London

en la grada del estadio de los fanáticos del fútbol argentino, una sensación de desánimo, incluso existe esto (traducción de Google de la sección de comentarios)

El AWACS tuvo una actualización en 2018 para misiones en Libia, Siria, Afganistán, y se les proporcionó software para conectarse a Skynet, la red de satélites militares británicos. Estos aviones para América Latina son óptimos, y el Reino Unido los traslada a Chile para cubrir el Atlántico Sur y Malvinas. ya que de seguro cualquier información que obtengan de movimientos de aviones o tropas etc será informada y compartida con el Reino Unido por los chilenos

Tiene mucho sentido, ya que en los días de las Malvinas, Chile también (casi) entró en guerra con Argentina. No tengo idea de cuál es la relación actual entre estos dos, probablemente mucho, mucho más apaciguada en comparación.

there is no relationship, there is a permanent conflict over territories that Argentina wants for them, like when it invaded the Fakand Islands, Chile provided logistical help in the war against Argentina and espionage, we are allies of the UK and it will always be that way, the Argentines will return to the Islands some day