Chengdu Wing Loong III MALE UAV

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
China’s Grey Eagle equivalent.

The People's Republic of China unveiled its newest drone in early November. The Wing Loong 3 has a 24-meter wingspan, a 6,200-mile range, and a much heavier payload than its predecessor. Its impressive purported range suggests that the proliferation of long-range "intercontinental" drones could be just around the corner, which undoubtedly would have significant implications for global security.

"The Wing Loong 3's innovations – such as its longer range and heavier payload – are to ensure China remains competitive in the global sale of armed military drones," James Rogers, a professor at the Center for War Studies at the University of Southern Denmark and a non-resident senior fellow at the Cornell Tech Policy Lab at Cornell University, told me.

Interesting discovery Flyaway, that is the first time that I have seen the Wing Loong 3 10,000km drone. The unusual thing is that it can be armed with Air-Air Missiles which must be a first for UAVs.

The People's Republic of China unveiled its newest drone in early November. The Wing Loong 3 has a 24-meter wingspan, a 6,200-mile range, and a much heavier payload than its predecessor. Its impressive purported range suggests that the proliferation of long-range "intercontinental" drones could be just around the corner, which undoubtedly would have significant implications for global security.

"The Wing Loong 3's innovations – such as its longer range and heavier payload – are to ensure China remains competitive in the global sale of armed military drones," James Rogers, a professor at the Center for War Studies at the University of Southern Denmark and a non-resident senior fellow at the Cornell Tech Policy Lab at Cornell University, told me.

More like MQ-9B equivalent.

The PLAAF have already got an MQ-9B equivalent drone in the shape of the WL-2D Blitzo, the Wing Loong 3 looks to be a totally new type of heavy drone that has intercontinental range which is something which no other western drone has at present.

The PLAAF have already got an MQ-9B equivalent drone in the shape of the WL-2D Blitzo, the Wing Loong 3 looks to be a totally new type of heavy drone that has intercontinental range which is something which no other western drone has at present.

Uhh.

The MQ-9B is a heavier MALE UAV than the Grey Eagle (isn't it?)

And the WL-3 is a heavier MALE UAV than the WL-2/D.

v2-3649fa2e17ad6438c54a5bf6f71e8f61_r.jpg
That is why I am saying the WL-3 is equivalent to MQ-9B.
And even they describe WL-3 as intending to meet or exceed performance threshold of the MQ-9B.