Ceramic Plating of Rifles

vajt

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I read an article in the latest issue of Special Weapons magazine that discussed an M-4 based rifle from Next Generation Arms that uses ceramic plating on key metal parts to fuse ceramics into the metal. This allows the rifle to be lubricant free and reduce the maintenance needed. It also reduces heat and can better handle environmental conditions.

This sounds very positive and I wonder what is the cost-benefit of doing this so that any new rifle or machinegun purchased by an armed forces would use this technique? The article rated the rifle highly and really pointed to the benefits provided. Would the reduced maintenance and need of lubrication make it worthwhile for the extra expense that this process adds to the weapon?

-----JT-----

vajt said:
This sounds very positive and I wonder what is the cost-benefit of doing this so that any new rifle or machinegun purchased by an armed forces would use this technique? The article rated the rifle highly and really pointed to the benefits provided. Would the reduced maintenance and need of lubrication make it worthwhile for the extra expense that this process adds to the weapon?

-----JT-----

First of all, whether the "reduced maintenance and need of lubrication" would make this process worthwhile depends very much on the cost of the process, how difficult it is to implement, and a couple of other factors. Will it, for instance, last for the lifetime of the weapon, or will it need a touch-up every couple of years? And will the weapon become completely maintenance and lubrication free, or is it "just" certain specific parts?

Also, having worked professionally with small arms for a few years, when I hear things like "reduced maintenance requirements" and "no need for lubrication", I tend to go "Pull the other one, it's got bells on". The weapons having been given this treatment might be maintenance and lubrication free on the firing range where Guns & Blammo or whoever tested it, but after 6 or 12 months in The Sandbox? Don't call us, we'll call you :p

If I sound cynical about these things, then that's because I am ;)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg