Cardboard Panzerschreck project "Presstoff"

3.7 cm Flakvierling 43

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Towards the end of the war, the Germans apparently wanted to design a version of the Panzerschreck made of cardboard that would save them a good amount of their quickly diminishing metal supplies.
To quote from this source from Bergflak:
One such idea was to manufacture the Raketenpanzerbüchse from cardboard paper, the so called "Presstoff". This would save 5,5 kg of metals and reduce the overall weight with 2kg. The SS-Waffenakademie in Brno was responsible for the prototypes and testing, but this model never saw serial production.
I'm wondering if anyone has any further information on this project other than the aforementioned?

Cheers

To quote from this source from Bergflak:
One such idea was to manufacture the Raketenpanzerbüchse from cardboard paper, the so called "Presstoff". This would save 5,5 kg of metals and reduce the overall weight with 2kg. The SS-Waffenakademie in Brno was responsible for the prototypes and testing, but this model never saw serial production.
I think, this information originally came from Wolfgang Fleischer's volume on the Panzerschreck publisshed in the Waffen Arsenal series.

Hi,

The correct spelling typographically limited media such as teletype actually would have been "Pressstoff" (with triple s) , and "Preßstoff" otherwise.

The underlying orthographic rule is probably the most obscure one German can muster, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was misspelled in the original from WW2 :) It has been simplified in the 1990s, which makes the historic rule even more obscure today.

The verbatim translation of "Preßstoff" is simply "compressed material".

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)