Caproni Type B "torpedo boat" (ground effect vehicle)

tallguy

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Looking for any info on the Caproni Type B "torpedo boat" (ground effect vehicle)

Was this derived from the 1930s 'hydroplane' racers ?
Think catamaran air-boat, and fast. In fact, so fast they were banned from some races as totally out-ran 'ordinary' speed-boats...

They look as if they began as Schneider-trophy float planes, minus everything but the floats & aero-engine...

The Horton/Horten problem

Attachments

• 4d17b862-621a-4dc9-af8c-11a1169e99c6.jpg
    4d17b862-621a-4dc9-af8c-11a1169e99c6.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 134
  • a231f21418dd9cdb1ac0dd51d8445f14.jpg
    a231f21418dd9cdb1ac0dd51d8445f14.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 130
Might the Caproni Type B in question be a midget submarine otherwise known as the CB class?

I have found it from " Eserciti nella Storia n.12 luglio - agosto 2002" inside article of german catamaran Tornado . Performance of italian catamaran was between 65 and 80 knots . i have attached pages ocr ( made with Acrobat) of page of article .

Attachments

• caproniB1930.jpg
    caproniB1930.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 76
  • articleCaproniB1930.pdf
    801 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Am I alone in thinking that this contraption would only qualify as "extremely fair weather Navy" ?

Last edited:
I have found it from " Eserciti nella Storia n.12 luglio - agosto 2002" inside article of german catamaran Tornado . Performance of italian catamaran was between 65 and 80 knots . i have attached pages ocr ( made with Acrobat) of page of article .
Thank you a lot. May I ask if a "Caproni A" exist? Also, this image proves that more specifically the Caproni B is a SES.

Ground effect of wings was known shortly after planes were mass-implemented, but the air cushion, what wings in ground effect create which affects them positively, was theorized in the 1800s. It is not at all unusual for someone to attempt at incorporating such benefits into an existing vehicle: multiple firms and individuals have independently developed air cushion transportation, which differ greatly by the degree the cushion is used to alleviate the vehicle (from completely as in Alexeyev's screen-glider (ekranoplan in Russian), to partial which is what some high-speed multi-hull ships today use) (which the most well-known instance is the hovercraft and the WIG craft).