Caproni Ca.204

MC72

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi
I’m interested in a model called Caproni Ca.204 a four engine strategic bomber presented
In 1938 for the public competition BGR ( Bombardiere a Grande Raggio=long range bomber), competition called by the Regia Aeronautica
I know, the winner was the Cant.Z 1014, second place for the Caproni Ca.204 and in third place the Piaggio P.108B
Who can help me?
My interests are: history/drawings/dimensions (as much as possible)/pictures/drawings) technical information
Saludos
MC72

From an earlier thread which I can't seem to track down using the search function.

Originally from Aerofan I believe.

Attachments

• caproni 204.jpg
    caproni 204.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,497
red admiral said:
From an earlier thread which I can't seem to track down using the search function.

Nice finding!!
Anyway Caproni proposal seems to be not so far from Piaggio P. 50 imho....

red admiral said:

Wow Red Admiral !! The drawings are very interesting , and the solutions adopted by Caproni for the defensive positions specialy for the laterals Me.210 like. I'm surprised by the curious double tail solution, in circumstances where there is no a dorsal defensive position, would have been easier to use a single tail.
Also the unknow Ca.211 is interesting.
I Know the Ca.204 would be powered by 4 x I-F Asso L.180 IRCC of ? ? Hp.
It seems the "tentative" size of Ca.204 is aprox. , lenght 25,5m ; wingspan 31,5m ; height 4,8m.
maybe there are more technical info

Saludos
MC72

MC72 said:
red admiral said:

Wow Red Admiral !! The drawings are very interesting , and the solutions adopted by Caproni for the defensive positions specialy for the laterals Me.210 like. I'm surprised by the curious double tail solution, in circumstances where there is no a dorsal defensive position, would have been easier to use a single tail.
Also the unknow Ca.211 is interesting.
I Know the Ca.204 would be powered by 4 x I-F Asso L.180 IRCC of ? ? Hp.
It seems the "tentative" size of Ca.204 is aprox. , lenght 25,5m ; wingspan 31,5m ; height 4,8m.
maybe there are more technical info

Saludos
MC72
I am according with you
son d'accordo con te !

MC72 said:
... the Ca.204 would be powered by 4 x I-F Asso L.180 IRCC of ? ? Hp....

'Italian fighter planes' (Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 22, 08 Apr 1943) lists the Isotta Fraschini L.180 IRCC 45 as producing 1500 hp. The US War Department's assumption was that the L.180 IRCC would power a future Re-2005 torpedo-fighter.

The alternative engine for the Ca.204 were Isotta-Fraschini Zetas (1250 hp Zeta R.C.42s?).

Thank to Red Admiral,
I can recreate a hypothetical mission of a squadron of Ca.204 over enemy territory

Saludos
MC72
iQp60dhC1IiE2.jpg

Very nice rendering, as usual!
The line drawings are made by Gianni Riccardi for 'AEREI' and licensed to 'IARB' (later 'Aerofan').
For the version powered by four Alfa AR.135 RC.132 radial engines rated at 1,350 CV the Ca.204 specifications were: span 31.50 m, lenght 23.20 m, wing area 124.0 sq. m, empy weight 11,900 kg, loaded weight 22,500 kg, wing loading 211 kg/sqm, maximum speed 515 km/h at 3,200 m, cruise speed 456 km/h at 4,500 m, range 4,360 km, load factor 7, armament five 12.7-mm machine guns and 2,000 kg warload (20 x 100-kg bombs), crew 7.

Nico

The Caproni Ca.211 for the 1938-39 BGR Contest for the Regia Aeronautica, was demanded one for evaluations but the dramatics developments in 1939-40 Europe, change the priority of the Regia and the Ca.204 was cancelled.

Saludos
MC72

ibg4NAmqr5Ddys.jpg

¡Insuperable!

Congratulations for the artistic quality. Nice executed model and pleasant composition plus a very interesting subject.

Antonio

Really nice artwork MC72
This summer i have just visited Caproni Museum on Trento !
In hypothetical use surely without a dorsal turret could be subjected to heavy losses !! :-\

airman said:
Really nice artwork MC72
This summer i have just visited Caproni Museum on Trento !
In hypothetical use surely without a dorsal turret could be subjected to heavy losses !! :-\

Yes Airman,
by reviewing in detail the defenses of the Ca.204, there are some doubts about the basic design: For example, the double tail solution , usually just to clear the area of action of a dorsal turret defense; Also the side towers apparently, lack of usefull windows for the defence operators.
anyway would have the potential to correct these faults of childhood, another small detail for a passive defence was the fastest It theoretically could get thanks to the small section front fuselage.Saludos
MC72

Similar to the Ca.204, was the Ca.111 proposal a big triengine bomber, but with unknow engine
MC72
i0IHv21O0pitX.jpg

Great find MC72,

but why the Caproni series 200 are a little known,we know only 201,204,
205,211,214 and 225,there is nothing at all after that ?.

From, Le Moniteur de LAeronautique 1977-12.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.png
    2.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom