Can You ID This Seaplane For Me?

ChuckAnderson

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I'm not sure if this was ever built, but could somebody ID this seaplane for me?
Thanks!!
Chuck

Attachments

• SEAPLANE.png
    SEAPLANE.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 275
The original article was entitled FLYING BOAT DEVELOPMENT FOR SPEED RESEARCH, By W. G. Carter, M.B.E. and was published in Flight dated September 26, 1930, as part of the Aircraft Engineer supplement.

Here is the magazine's introduction to Carter's article, which sheds light on his design's inception.

It may be recollected that in the issue of THE AIRCRAFT ENGINEER, of February 28, 1929, Mr, Carter, who designed the Short "Crusader" Schneider machine, suggested, as an immediate possibility of obtaining increased speed with existing power plants, the small central-hull flying boat with engines placed in tandem. Mr. Carter's 1929 design used outboard floats for lateral stability on the water. He has now, in order to obtain a further increase in speed, turned his attention to a somewhat similar machine, but with short wing stubs of the type regularly used by Dr. Dornier in all his flying boats.

Personally we cannot say that we are in favour of this form of stabilising a flying boat hull, more especially in the case of a racing machine in which the torque-reaction may attain a very high value if one engine cuts out while the machine is running on the water. Mr. Carter has, however, devised an ingenious scheme by which he is certain that this difficulty can be overcome.
That invention is not mentioned in the article, but should be referred to here in order to point out that, for the purpose of the article, criticism of the wing stubs should not be used to invalidate the rest of Mr. Carter's arguments.

Here's the full article from Flight in three attachments:

Attachments

• page1.jpg
    page1.jpg
    907 KB · Views: 224
  • page2.jpg
    page2.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 193
  • page3.jpg
    page3.jpg
    957 KB · Views: 168