Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Unknown to me until now, the Caproni C.22J:

Attachments

• C22J.gif
    C22J.gif
    35.4 KB · Views: 516
Stéphane: The C22J Ventura was a Caproni-Vizzola product. The C22J was built in prototype form (I-CAVT and I-GIAC). An unbuilt project was the C22R reconnaissance variant.

According to Flight, Agusta planned another 3 pre-production and 20 production C22Js. Note that Flight says that the C22R was to be "launched and recovered like an RPV" which has caused confusion in some quarters where the C22R has been listed as an RPV.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1986/1986%20-%201821.html

Stargazer2006 said:

Great find my dear Stargazer,

and also the Caproni-Vizzola sailplanes series; A-10,A-11,A-12,A-14,A-15,A-20
A-21 and A-21J,and anther sailplane,the Caproni-Aviamilano A-2.

Stargazer2006 said:

Also the Caproni-Vizzola light aircraft for British AST-412 Specification.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3915.msg30740.html#msg30740

Attachments

• C.22J and AST-412.JPG
    C.22J and AST-412.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 459
Dear All,
How can I resist from showing-off? Yes, I know I'm a lucky man... the guy on the left seat in the picture of the Caproni Vizzola (then SIAI-Marchetti, then Agusta) C.22J Caproncino (later named Ventura) it's me, driving that delightful little plane. In another photo I'm starting a loop above an islet off my hometown, and in another I'm diving above my home at more than 260 knots. According to the test pilot Paolo Barberis (on the right seat) Capronicino can reach in a dive 325 knots and can pull 7 g (I tried 5 only).
Was a real pity that the programme was abandoned due to some problems in certification of the electrical system (but, in my opinion, also to avoid fratricide competition with SF-260...
Nico

Attachments

• C.22J_217.jpg
    C.22J_217.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 125
  • C.22J_216.jpg
    C.22J_216.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 83
  • C.22J_215.jpg
    C.22J_215.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 374
  • C.22J_214.jpg
    C.22J_214.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 401
  • C.22J_213.jpg
    C.22J_213.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 423
Nico said:
Dear All,
How can I resist from showing-off? Yes, I know I'm a lucky man... the guy on the left seat in the picture of the Caproni Vizzola (then SIAI-Marchetti, then Agusta) C.22J Caproncino (later named Ventura) it's me, driving that delightful little plane. In another photo I'm starting a loop above an islet off my hometown, and in another I'm diving above my home at more than 260 knots. According to the test pilot Paolo Barberis (on the right seat) Capronicino can reach in a dive 325 knots and can pull 7 g (I tried 5 only).
Was a real pity that the programme was abandoned due to some problems in certification of the electrical system (but, in my opinion, also to avoid fratricide competition with SF-260...
Nico

Lucky lucky man (envy mode on)....

Nico said:
Dear All,
How can I resist from showing-off?

Can't blame you! I too would be proud if I had flown in such an elegant and rare prototype!

Thanks a lot for sharing these pics!

I was at the 1982 Farnborough show and saw the aircraft there - I immediately fell in love with it. But my opinion wasn't enough.

royalistflyer said:
I immediately fell in love with it. But my opinion wasn't enough.

Ah... if looks alone could get an aircraft to work commercially, there'd be plenty more aircraft types in the sky!

I agree with you, this one is a beauty.

While doing some research on the C22J, I found this article from "The Aviationist". In 2015, during the EURAC (European Air Chiefs’ Conference) the AMI presented a derived of the airplane called T-344 VESPA (Very Efficient Smart Power Aircraft).

The new aircraft is based on the C22J and entirely developed by the AMI with the assistance of the Reparto Sperimentale Volo with the intention to replace the SF-260 in service.

According to the article, the AMI was going to assign its production to an aviation company on a latter stage, but besides the original announcement, I wasn’t able to find any follow up information.

Judging by the photos, the only changes applied to the original airframe are a new set of digital avionics and oxygen masks for the crew.

T-344-1.jpeg

T-344-5.jpeg

Image sources: "The Aviationist"

Link to the article: https://theaviationist.com/2015/05/13/italian-af-unveils-new-t-344-trainer/
Another source: https://www.giorgiociarini.it/index...ir-chief-conference-2015-cameri-air-base.html

Hoping that the following is not off topic.

Around 1986, a Canadian firm, Indal Technologies, a subsidiary of Indal Canada, completed the prototype of an improved version of the “Beartrap” helicopter hauldown and rapid securing device, the Aircraft Ship Integrated Secure and Traverse (ASIST). In 1987, it may, I repeat may, have entered into discussions with Caproni Vizzola Costruzioni Aeronautiche to develop a version of the ASIST compatible with the Bell 212 anti-submarine helicopters manufactured by its parent company, Agusta. That project seemingly did not come to fruition.