C-160 Transall with Air Refueling BOOM

TinWing

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is a very puzzling German patent drawing.

I don't know if (a) the patent is for the integration of an American refueling boom with the C-160 or (b) the development of a German refueling boom.

The Transall is a bit small for a refueling platform, although Germany had more than enough C-160s on hand as conversion candidates.

The second alternative is even more interesting because of the current EADS Air Refueling Boom System (ARBS).

It is worth noting that France had 10 C-160 NG refueling tankers, although I don't know if the equipment was supplied FRL or Sargent Fletcher?

Attachments

• Dornier1983Patent1.gif
    Dornier1983Patent1.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 256
Interesting discovery indeed ! And a new version for my Transall collection. ;)
Although the german F-4F Phantoms weren't cleared for in-flight refuelling, AFAIK,
maybe the receptacle wasn't even installed . And all other aircraft capable of
in-flight refuelling are using the hose-and-drogue system, so this patent really
is puzzling .

What we need are the patent claims. If the drawing is simply to illustrate some technical point in the patent, there is no reason to suppose that it was intended actually to refuel Phantoms from Transalls, nor even to build a Transall with a boom.

With the Phantom you're probably right, I think, but as the drawing shows the
boom installation on what appears to be a new cargo ramp, at least the probability
is quite high, that the patent is aimed at the Transall.
But realy, we need the source of the drawings ! ;)

Jemiba said:
With the Phantom you're probably right, I think, but as the drawing shows the
boom installation on what appears to be a new cargo ramp, at least the probability
is quite high, that the patent is aimed at the Transall.
But realy, we need the source of the drawings ! ;)

I believe that the patent number (2572607) is in the up right hand corner of the drawing. I also included the assignee (Dornier) and the year (1983) in the title.

If I remember correctly, it was impossible to save the .pdf format patent as a single file, so I saved the drawings. In any case, the claims might have been in German. I am not an expert at searching European patents, and I really don't know what prefix is used for an older German patent?