Business jet A/C types morphed into combat aircraft?

Some Mystère 20 with Mirages radars. :)

Dassault Mystère 20 SNA (III E) n° 186 (339-WM) "Lampe d'Aladin" - CITAC 339 - Luxeuil - 1976. Mystere20SNAIIIE_1280.jpg
Mystère 20SNA (III E) (115 - 339-WL) "Boule de Cristal" - CITAC 339 - at Luxeuil.
div_citac339a.jpg

Last edited:
Dassault Mystère 20 SNR (F1CR) n° 451 (339-WN) "Fil d'Ariane" - CITAC 339 - Luxeuil - 1986.
Mystere20SNR_1280.jpg

Mystère 20SNA (n° 483 - 339-JI) nicknamed "L'oeil de Grée" of CITAC 339 Aquitaine tested at Luxeuil in 2003. Used for test of Mirage 2000N radar. Mystere20SNA2000_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Mystère 20SNA (IIIE) n°115 (339-WL) "Boule de Cristal" and, Mirage IIIE n°? (4-BK) of EC 2/4 la Fayette (N 124 - SPA 167)

https://www.traditions-air.fr/images/photos/div_citac339c.jpg

I don't think rardar testbeds count as 'combat aircraft' just like special mission platforms not carrying weapons. I'd probably create separate topic(s) for this stuff.

About this thread, I was thinking that a Learjet type aircraft equipped with IR missiles and Flares/Chaffs could be interesting for peacetime air policing tasks, as a cheap alternative for a country that would not want to invest in modern fighter aircraft. ;)

- It could also be useful for a use like during the Falklands war, to disperse the enemy, the decoy and self-defense missile could give the Learjet a small chance in case of an encounter with enemy fighters.
Maybe a small radar, in the style of the "Blue Fox" of the Shar FRS.1 would be interesting and some "all-aspect" missile would surely be appreciated. :cool:

- I do not know if it would have been possible to remove a part of the passenger cabin to put more fuel ?
Would this have led to overly expensive modifications ?
Or maybe an internal missile bay to preserve performance ?

Kind of like this one, note IR missile launchers.
This Gulfstream G-II briefly visited Cleveland, Ohio looking like a private jet with some crazy modifications on it including weapons pylons, missile pylons and some radar jammer - missile seeker equipment attached. The registration "N105TB" comes back to the government as an air force plane and also history at MIT. It's been photographed flying with the B-117 along with MiG aircraft at Groom Lake. Didn't stay long, just got fuel and left. The take off was loud and had a military jet sound to it at full power. The coolest civilian/military jet I've seen to date. Anyone know more about this plane ?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGgPOzNraw

Last edited:

Pretty sure that's just an ACMI pod, basically there to tell the range where you are and what you're doing. It doesn't imply that they are simulating IR missiles on the aircraft.

It has pylons but does not carry or launch missiles. This aircraft is an airborne seeker testbed. One of its missions is to simulate a missile, to collect information on seeker performance etc