Building AMERICA’S Largest Plane

Johnbr

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The compartment behind the cabin will be used for freight and mail and the sorting of mail during the trip. Two lavatories will be installed in this part of the ship.
The ship will be equipped with twelve motors. Only eight of them will be necessary to keep the plane, weighing fifty tons, in the air. Each of these motors will develop 400 horsepower. The four reserve motors will insure the safety of the ship.
Six men as a crew will be all that will be needed to man the new Lawson super air liner, so the operating expenses will be low. By the way, the fuselage is 100 feet long and the wing spread is 200 feet wide. As I designed this giant airplane, I had in mind not only safety and economy but also speed. I have calculated that my ship will make 100 miles an hour easily and steadily.
When I speak of air transportation, and it is my remotest notion ever to over-leap the bounds of modesty, I unhesitatingly say that I know whereof I speak. In 1913 I was christened the first air commuter when I flew daily from my New Jersey home to my New York office. In 1918 I built the first commercial cabin passenger plane, in which people could actually stand up and walk around. In 1920 I built the first three-engine air liner with sleeping berths, heated cabin and mail chutes.
And if I may be permitted another admission, those who have followed the glowing pages of aviation’s history will recall that on August 10, 1918, I appeared before War Department officials and proposed a trans-oceanic float system, installing landing stations in relays along the route from America to Europe. Today such a float system is actually in the course of construction.
<ins><ins></ins></ins>

Attachments

• americas_largest_plane_0.jpg
    americas_largest_plane_0.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 349
  • americas_largest_plane_1.jpg
    americas_largest_plane_1.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 299
  • americas_largest_plane_2.jpg
    americas_largest_plane_2.jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 278
  • americas_largest_plane_3.jpg
    americas_largest_plane_3.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 242
I like the mechanic standing on the wing, servicing an engine in flight.

Hi John,

I think we had it here;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6261.msg215511.html#msg215511