British Submarines: in the Cold War Era by Norman Friedman

Thorvic

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The follow up volume to British Submarines in Two World Wars to be published the 28th Feb 2021.

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/British-Submarines-Hardback/p/18002

The Royal Navy’s greatest contribution to the Allied success in World War II was undoubtedly the defeat of the U-boat menace in the North Atlantic, a victory on which all other European campaigns depended. The underwater threat was the most serious naval challenge of the war so it was not surprising that captured German submarine technology became the focus of attention for the British submarine service after 1945. It was quick to test and adopt the schnorkel, streamlining, homing torpedoes and, less successfully, hydrogen-peroxide propulsion. Furthermore, in the course of the long Atlantic battle, the Royal Navy had become the world’s most effective anti-submarine force and was able to utilise this expertise to improve the efficiency of its own submarines.

However, in 1945 German submarine technology had also fallen into the hands of the Soviet Union and as the Cold War developed it became clear that a growing Russian submarine fleet would pose a new threat. Britain had to go to the US for its first nuclear propulsion technology, but the Royal Navy introduced the silencing technique which made British and US nuclear submarines viable anti-submarine assets, and it pioneered in the use of passive – silent – sonars in that role. Nuclear power also changed the role of some British submarines, which replaced bombers as the core element of British Cold War and post Cold War nuclear deterrence.

As in other books in this series, this one shows how a combination of evolving strategic and tactical requirements and new technology produced successive types of submarines. It it is based largely on unpublished and previously classified official documentation, and to the extent allowed by security restrictions, also tells the operational story – HMS Conqueror is still the only nuclear submarine to have sunk a warship in combat, but there are many less well known aspects of British submarine operations in the postwar era.

Although some of the Cold War activities of British submarines have come to light in recent years, this book will be the first comprehensive technical history of the submarines themselves, their design rationale, and the service which operated them

So when this book makes it to the U.S. it'll be a whopping 85 dollars. Yikes. I think I'll stick to my copy of The Silent Deep for now and wait for the reviews to see how good it is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited about this given how good the first volume was.
The Silent Deep was deep and touched on many areas, and actually touched more on the technical side than I imagined it would given the authors were not naval anoraks. But I suspect Friedman will have unearthed some interesting information on the evolution of the nuclear subs in particular and hopefully a good account of post-war sonar and torpedo development.
The price is steep, but Seaforth Press tend to be pricey but they are chunky hardbacks on high quality paper plus they use a lot of fold out pages in their latest books and I guess these are fairly niche publications in terms of making any returns on the production costs etc.

That would be interesting because I am currently doing an MA in Naval History (distance learning!) at Portsmouth University. I have to do a project of 5000 words, and, I think, slightly to the bemusement of my tutor, I have chosen the topic of British research into nuclear propulsion for submarines. It is something virtually all the historians writing on the subject (historiography) neglect.

Pen and Sword strike me as somewhat opportunist publishers. They push something out, hope for lots of sales, and that's it. I'm slightly surprised that Friedman had to go to them, when I think there are some more rather reputable publishers out there.

Sounds like an interesting topic to research. I am sure with your skills that you will easily accomplish your Masters.
When I did my MA on British military aircraft procurement, I was lucky that my supervisor was the only aviation fanatic in the department!

Pen and Sword strike me as somewhat opportunist publishers. They push something out, hope for lots of sales, and that's it. I'm slightly surprised that Friedman had to go to them, when I think there are some more rather reputable publishers out there.

It is published under their Seaforth Publishing imprint not the main Pen & Sword brand. Most of their heavyweight naval publishing is done under the Seaforth brand, including some of Friedman's previous publications.

There's the usual coffee-table crap stuffed with illustrations you've already seen in other publications, accompanied by text of dubious weight (Palmar).

And there is the solid gold references founded on source material (Friedman). The footnotes, glossary, and appendixes alone are what will sell you on a publication authored by Friedman.

$85? Cheap at twice the price!

I have this and the other works in this field authored by Norman Friedman -- His submarine volumes are my go-to references when researching a model submarine project.

David

If I may interject: several books from Seaforth are co-published by USNI in the U. S. For customers paying in euros the Seaforth ones are substantially cheaper. Considering the extent of e.g. Friedman's British subs vol. 1, the price of the Seaforth edition is cheap. Just for comparison: I am reading now a book with 152 pages B5 format, substandard paper and only glued binding in softcover and digitally printed. Its price is 40 euros. Friedman can be had here for about 42 euros.

Another book of interest on the Royal Navy submarine service since 1945 "The Silent Deep" by Peter Hennessy & James Jinks published 2016 pp 825

Sounds like an interesting topic to research. I am sure with your skills that you will easily accomplish your Masters.
When I did my MA on British military aircraft procurement, I was lucky that my supervisor was the only aviation fanatic in the department!
Is your MA thesis available online?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but are there any books out there that discuss the story of submarine operations during the Cold War to the present day from the Russian perspective ? I know there was one book published in 2004 but that was more of a light survey that didn't dive into the level of detail that The Silent Deep did.

“Thank you for your recent order.

Due to global shipping impacts, the following book(s) may be delayed:

British Submarines in the Cold War Era (HC)/9781526771223 will now be shipped on or about 9/15/2021.

Should you have any questions regarding this notice, please contact the Member Services Department at 1.800.233.8764.

Thank you for your continued support of the U.S. Naval Institute.

Regards,

Jaemellah Kemp

Director, Member Services Operations“

Well they made it to the 30th June and then moved it back to the 30th July again, surely they had a idea when it was due in and could have updated the website accordingly rather than punt it along again when they miss the current deadline.

Bit of cockup in that the Kindle edition has already been released on Amazon

Kindle edition is very affordable, compared to paper edition. That's an option.

Pen and Sword still show June (at present)

British Submarines (Hardback)

in the Cold War Era

WWII Seaforth Submarines Naval Photographic Books Colour Books Cold War

By Norman Friedman
Seaforth Publishing
Pages: 344
Illustrations: 350 colour & black and white illustrations
ISBN: 9781526771223
Published: 30th June 2021

Would be interesting to compare the read of this book with the Jinks & Hennessy's The Silent Deep about the various post-war sub spy missions into the Barents Sea.
But at that price ($82) will hold out for the paperback edition.

Last edited:

in the Cold War Era

By Norman Friedman
Seaforth Publishing

Would be interesting to compare the read of this book with the Jinks & Hennessy's The Silent Deep about the various post-war sub spy missions into the Barents Sea.
Unfortunately, that is 'old news'. Pen and Swords website now show 30/07/21!

Last edited:
Back when I pre-ordered a copy several months ago, the bill said the 30th of September 2021.

in the Cold War Era

By Norman Friedman
Seaforth Publishing

Unfortunately, that is 'old news'. Pen and Swords website now show 30/07/21!
Ok forgot to strikeout the June date when referencing the title.

Amatheft UK still show not available from them. With no decent military bookshop I am reliant on them

Thorvic True but publishers usually want a debit card details and as I normally use my phone to surf I am
reluctant to do this unless there is no alternative.

Amatheft UK still show not available from them. With no decent military bookshop I am reliant on them
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Bri...source=frontline-books.com&utm_medium=subsite

Still not out publisher is showing the end of the month.

You are not tied to Amazon, if you can order from Amazon online, then you can order direct from the Publishers too, and will get the book quicker
Thorvic checked the site and it accepted paypal and was easy to use. Thanks. Hope to get it next week.

Still reading through my copy, and finding it VERY informative.
Have to admit that although I had to wait what seemed to be an inordinate length of time for delivery from ordering (I got fed-up last year waiting on Amazon for the release date), I did manage to get mine at a discounted price GBP 38.50!!

Took Thorvic's advice and mine is now safely in my paws.
Like all Friedman books it is a tour de force on the history and background to the submarines that were built. There is not much about paper designs. But there is an examination of issues like Poseidon for the R class boats.
I note wrly that although Prof Hennessy answered the vexed question of the name of the cancelled fifth Polaris SSBN in Silent Deep, Friedman doesnt mention it all.