British Secret Projects 1?

Landor742

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello all,
Trying to find a copy of the 2017 reissue of BSP:1, and it seems to be totally unavailable anywhere! There’s an occasional listing on Amazon/Abe but Ive already tried from that seller and it cancels with a day or two. For a book that was only printed 4 years ago, its as rare as hens teeth!

Appreciate any help!

Try getting the earlier version - British Secret Projects: Jet Fighters Since 1950, I bought mine on Ebay for £6.00. Also, in my opinion the cover art is nicer...

Plus there's some other stuff I found on google about the two editions.

Attachments

• 1822071.jpeg
    1822071.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 62
  • specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950page289.jpg
    specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950page289.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 51
  • british_secret_projects__jet_fighters_since_1950_tony-buttler_-midland-publishing_1857800958_b.jpg
    british_secret_projects__jet_fighters_since_1950_tony-buttler_-midland-publishing_1857800958_b.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 51
  • specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950page245.jpg
    specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950page245.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 51
  • specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950page131.jpg
    specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950page131.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 52
  • specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950coverrear.jpg
    specialtypressbritishsecretprojectsjetfighterssince1950coverrear.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 52
  • British-Secret-Projects-2.jpg
    British-Secret-Projects-2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 52
  • British-Secret-Projects-1.jpg
    British-Secret-Projects-1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 49
  • British-Secret-Projects-model.jpg
    British-Secret-Projects-model.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 47
  • D3t-EkNWkAAJBc5.jpg
    D3t-EkNWkAAJBc5.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 54
I got a copy of BSP1 from Ebay last summer for £28.50, which was refreshing because earlier purchases of the BSP1 volume were cancelled or weren't shipped.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 57
I’m searching wherever I can, it’s absolutely nowhere to be found, either side of the ocean. Quite amazing for a 2017 book!

Have you tried ordering it through Waterstones, aparently when they order it sometimes discarded/lost copies are found...

Have you tried ordering it through Waterstones, aparently when they order it sometimes discarded/lost copies are found...
I have, order has been pending for a month.

Also tried Book Depository, they frequently list it “available” and then when you order, it’s cancelled within a few days. Tried directly with them and also on Amazon.

I’ll enjoy my copy of BSP2 in the meantime! Excellent book, any others recommended? I absolutely love those types of books along with “Stuck on the Drawing Board” and “Project Cancelled”.

Thanks to all for helping! If I get a breakthrough I’ll report in.

The Chris Gibson RAF projects books are seminal and an excellent read, and are all freely available online (apart from the the signals gathering one).
- Vulcan's Hammer
- Nimrod's Genesis
- On Atlas' Shoulders
- Battle Flight
- Typhoon to Typhoon
- Teach for the Sky (by James Jackson)

Chris Gibson's publisher Blue Envoy Press does the amazing Project Tech Profiles books, I can't afford them but they just look incredible.
Any Secret Projects book: JC Carbonel's French ones, the other Tony Butler British ones, his American ones.
The SR-71 projects bookazine and US bombers books by Scott Lowther. I haven't tried his website's publications yet but they are aparently good.
Again I haven't bought these but the Jared A. Zichek stuff from RetroMechanics looks good if your pockets are deep.
Dan Sharp's BSP5 and my personal favourite Cold War Interceptor, his Luftwaffe '46 type bookazines - and books now are great and hugely detailed with good artwork.

That's just about everything Aircraft Projects related I know about and own or want. I hope it helps.

Bing

Thank you Bing! That should tide me over as I search for BSP1.

I thought I had success ordering a copy, open the box, and in it is BSP5. Disappointment for sure! So close... That’s not to say BSP5 is a disappointment, I was planning on getting it anyways, but I was so close to a breakthrough.

What I really find amazing is for a 4 year old book, I can’t get a sniff even on eBay, or massively overpriced elsewhere. I did email Crecy gently encouraging a reprint some day!

I know how you feel, however I'm sure there will be a cheap one on Ebay some day, we can only hope.

I had not realised until Landor742's message that BSP1 had gone out of print. Sorry to hear you are having problems getting a copy.

I have let Crecy know that you are looking for one, but it is out of my hands whether they decide to reprint. However, yesterday I spoke to Simon at The Aviation Bookshop at Tunbridge Wells. He gets copies passing through and, if he does not have one available at the moment, he can put you on a waiting list. The contact address is info@aviation-bookshop.com. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Tony.

Message from the author...

Hello all, I was able to source a copy thanks to the help of everybody here, from Simon at Aviation Bookshop. Just picked it up from the post and can’t wait to get into it! Thank you all for the help, if anybody else is looking I’d suggest dropping a line to Simon and throwing your name in the hat for a future copy.

Thanks again, and Paul please pass on my sincere thanks to Tony for reaching out!

There’s currently a copy on Amazon US store, I can’t vouch for the authenticity as some listings cancel, but if anybody is looking for it stateside, could be worth looking into.

Been looking myself for BSP1. Placed several orders with Book Depository on Amazon, keeps getting cancelled. Won one on an eBay auction and seller refused to send it, then cancelled it! Also seeking Italian Secret Projects. Any help will be appreciated!

The Airliner Collection bookshop at Duxford had a first edition in stock last week, cheap. Erratic manning hours by volunteers.

Been looking myself for BSP1. Placed several orders with Book Depository on Amazon, keeps getting cancelled. Won one on an eBay auction and seller refused to send it, then cancelled it! Also seeking Italian Secret Projects. Any help will be appreciated!
Book Depository is a dead end, that happened to me multiple times. Don’t think they actually have it in stock, it just gets listen randomly. Had an AbeBooks seller try to scam me too with “it’s going to take a bit longer to deliver”. Fortunately was able to get a refund.

Try reaching out to Aviation Bookshop, Simon and his team were able to help me out, can’t recommend their business highly enough!

Try Books etc. While they sell through Amazon, you can generally get books cheaper direct. But be warned, they can sometimes be a bit slow at actually getting the book in the post. But they do arrive usually.

Try Books etc. While they sell through Amazon, you can generally get books cheaper direct. But be warned, they can sometimes be a bit slow at actually getting the book in the post. But they do arrive usually.
I have to say by experience was not good

That was my experience with Book Depository for BSP 1 as well. I did get a reasonably priced copy through Amazon that literally came in today (World of Books, I believe). Took some digging.

I don't think the Italian SP has been published yet.

(Yay my first post! After a rather long period of lurking)

Had exactly the same issue. Got in contact with them and after a few more tries they apologised and said they didn't know when, if ever, they would have stock.

In the end a relative found the older version at a wholesaler. Brand new and as others say the artwork of the Fairey Delta 3 is rather pleasing.

Only slight downside is it doesn't match the other three BSP books in my collection.

Hope you manage to get a copy.

(Yay my first post! After a rather long period of lurking)

Had exactly the same issue. Got in contact with them and after a few more tries they apologised and said they didn't know when, if ever, they would have stock.

In the end a relative found the older version at a wholesaler. Brand new and as others say the artwork of the Fairey Delta 3 is rather pleasing.

Only slight downside is it doesn't match the other three BSP books in my collection.

Hope you manage to get a copy.
I have exactly the same situation. In my opinion the cover of the original is far nicer. Normally I am far too fastidious to have the irregular cover, but the £6 price and gorgeous artwork was to good to pass over.

Good luck to all of you trying to buy this excellent book, and thank you to Mr Buttler for writing it.

I submitted an order on amazon from Book Depository US a week ago. The order is still effective yet it takes forever for the seller to ship the item. The expected arrival date will be December 29th. Let's see how things develop. ( Currently, the prize for a new one is $67 which is completely insane.) The other thing I noticed is that every book of such categories is dramatically increasing. Now it is nearly impossible to purchase a new copy using less than $40.

Update on January 4th, 2023: Yep, they don't have a copy actually. So the order was eventually canceled.

Last edited: