alternate British airforce proposal

Cjc

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
So I do want to say that I understand this isn't ideal for a British force structure, but I do think its realistic.

First p.1154, preferably with the sea vixen folks also helping to create a twin boom inorder to cut down on the nosals and deal with the back shakes (aka basically the p.1216 early, with the bs.100 insted of the rb 422, this isn't really necessary, i think they could have dealt with it another way but it is the easiest) and the RN is forced to except the one engine version insted of trying to create a two engine one, to avoid making two completely separate aircraft.
150+ for the RAF for the 8 squads they planed pluse some attrition reserve (i don't no how many reserve the uk keeped)
I don't know how many the RN would get but 98 sea harriers were ordered, plus the 52 Phantoms ordered but the orgonal order was 140 when the RN was planing for 5 carriers insted of 2 and the p.1154 can use the victorious, hermes and centar in ways the Phantom couldn't. So anywhere from 98 to 240 order with the carrier decks only haveing P.1154 and buccaneers (boy would the RN houl at that)
And if the Germans had stayed on the vtol kick (not the most likely but possible) then it could have also stolen away the f-4 orders there (probably still cheaper as well) for 263
The French could have also gone vtol for for there navy, probably more likely then one would think, dessalt was never well liked by the French navy and they always wanted American Aircraft (first the f-8 then the f-18) but buying British is way better for the French government then buying American. It would require the French to give up on cats and traps so once again not likely but still possible. 113 (replacing the f-8 and Etendard IV) maby more if France now builds a 3rd smaller carrier.
The usmc is also going to get this, they basically wanted a supersonic harrier basically from the moment they got the harrier, to the point that they forces the other to services to buy there plane see f-35.
Plus every one else who bought the harrier for there prestige carriers.
So like 1664 total max assuming like no f-35 there for new variants are being biult today, more likely though still 1000 plus wich isn't bad

The F-111k, the tsr 2 is frankly way to niche and expensive for the uk (not that the p.1154 isn't niche, but as the harrier shows there is atlest a niche of nations wanting fixed wing carriers on the cheap) would be best if it was canceled earlier on and the UK worked with the only other country (besides Australia) that even wants this kind of aircraft, preferably convincing McNamara that with uk footing part of the bill he won't combine it with the USN missile intersepter program. Hopefully allowing enough room for British engines and avionics (hell maby all f-111 could have British avionics, the tsr 2 had better radar then the f-111 as far as I'm aware, and Britain could focus on that instead of everything else, not likely but I thought al put it in here)
96 in 8 strike squadrons
32 in 4 rec squadrons
12 artition/ training
140 uk+36 (2 strike 1 rec) Australia+563 usaf
For 739 total (little more then the a-10 got)

And the avro arrow, frankly the t.155 requirement was really insane, and the RAF really should rethought the whole idea when the got back the designs from the industry, especially when they knew the minister of defense was against the basicly everything they wanted (1957 white paper didnt come out of nowhere, they had big issues with sandy sense the moment he became minister) the arrow didn't really have the speed they wanted but it was a plane that already exists that is already payed for buy someone that isn't the us, can carry two red heabs and Canada was despite for a deal so a good one can be made, now whether Bretton needs a high speed intersepter is kind of academic considering it was considered so much of a need that they turned a strike aircraft into one.
So 144 in 8 squadrons
200 for Canada in 10 squadrons
144 for Australia in 8 squadrons
60 for indea
12 of Iran
For 560 total 314 built in Canada, 246 built in the uk.

That leaves the RAF in the the early 70's with 2 strike 1 rec f-111, 2 p.1154, and 2 arrow squadrons in Britain, Germany, create, and Singapore. With those numbers dubaling when the east of suiz stuff closes (if it dose).

This also leads to jaguar never expanding passed the supersonic trainer, wich also kills the alfa jet, with Germany probably gust buying these smaller jaguars.

Theirs also no tornado, as Britain has no need for one, but Germany still needs a f-104 replacement, maby the f-4, or some variant of the mirage unless they weight for the f-16 (isn't impossible, thats what most of the f-104 replacement comity did instead of going for tornado).

While the uk can weight on the f-111 replacement (thanks to storm shadow) its going to be pretty clear that the p. 1154 and arrow needs replacement by the 80's and the options seem pretty thin, ithere they make there own, or they buy American f-16s and f-15s/f-14s, unless they want to keep using arrows and p.1154 agenst mig-29 and su-27 in 2010 while the eurofighter with no help from a previous program trys to create something.

So what do ya'll think of this?

Back
Top Bottom