Britain's chicken king says the 20-year binge on cheap food is over

edwest4

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
"chicken king"? "binge"? Who writes this nonsense?

And I will see to it that they get a stern talking to. Of all the hyperbolic rubbish, I'll [deleted due to lack of restraint rule]

My favourite panic was when I was a child. Salt....

Think about a panic buyout of supermarket salt because someone suggested the UK was running out.

Health wise people probably should be eating less cheap mass produced chicken, but thats easy to say and harder to do if you have very little money coming in.

Didn't Bernard Matthews used to be the Turkey King?
Maybe there is an aristocracy of poultry?

I am seeing too many cases where emotional adjectives are being added to headlines so people will click on the article. This is about money, meaning ad dollars. The more people who click, the more the outlet can charge for ads.

Health wise people probably should be eating less cheap mass produced chicken, but thats easy to say and harder to do if you have very little money coming in.

In the case of the homeless, when someone gives them a little money, they walk over to the nearest fast-food outlet.

I am seeing too many cases where emotional adjectives are being added to headlines so people will click on the article. This is about money, meaning ad dollars. The more people who click, the more the outlet can charge for ads.

Yes, the purpose of headlines is and always has been to get you to read articles with attention-grabbing phrases so newspapers can make money to pay for their operations and make a profit.

Is "chicken king" really emotional? The guy's been called that for years and years because he's the biggest chicken producer in the UK. I suppose Abe Froman had a similar situation in Chicago.

Yes, the purpose of headlines is and always has been to get you to read articles with attention-grabbing phrases so newspapers can make money to pay for their operations and make a profit.

Is "chicken king" really emotional? The guy's been called that for years and years because he's the biggest chicken producer in the UK. I suppose Abe Froman had a similar situation in Chicago.

It depends on the audience. In the UK, that's how this person is known. In the U.S., no. "Chicken king" is a fanciful term and since I am a working editor, I understand how certain word combinations can cause a certain response.

In the UK, that's how this person is known. In the U.S., no. "Chicken king" is a fanciful term and since I am a working editor, I understand how certain word combinations can cause a certain response.

xfyAmNv.png

Perhaps Reuters, an international news agency headquartered in London, should carefully rewrite all its headlines in the "UK" section to avoid exposing US readers to overly-emotional fanciful language like "chicken king."

My editor always told me the purpose of of a headline was to draw people into the story with interesting language and he'd been in newspapers for like 50 years.

Anyway it obviously worked because you're sharing the article on a forum for even more clicks.

Last edited:
In the UK, that's how this person is known. In the U.S., no. "Chicken king" is a fanciful term and since I am a working editor, I understand how certain word combinations can cause a certain response.

xfyAmNv.png

Perhaps Reuters, an international news agency headquartered in London, should carefully rewrite all its headlines in the "UK" section to avoid exposing US readers to overly-emotional fanciful language like "chicken king."

My editor always told me the purpose of of a headline was to draw people into the story with interesting language and he'd been in newspapers for like 50 years.

Anyway it obviously worked because you're sharing the article on a forum for even more clicks.

Yes, there should be separate headlines for separate audiences. A friend of mine was in the newspaper business for many years. I have been in publishing for 40 +. It is clear that UK sensibilities are generally different from those in the U.S. I'm not English, but I play one on the internet.

That would be a good opportunity for scientists investigating how to duplicate in the laboratory the process of photosynthesis to create artificial foods from sunlight... remember the fracking.:)

In the case of the homeless, when someone gives them a little money, they walk over to the nearest fast-food outlet.
That's one of the issues of being homeless, lack of access to cooking facilities. Which means you're stuck with whatever is open on the high street. A lot of criticism of fast food fails to consider related issues.