Brinelling in gas turbine bearings

CJGibson

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Has anyone come across bearing brinelling in gas turbines as a major problem/source of failure in land vehicle powerplants (cars, M1A1, T-80)?

Chris

No direct knowledge. Brinneling is mostly a problem with ball or roller bearings being loaded while the shaft is not turning, I.e. engine not running. Vibration during during ground transport of spare engines is the classic brinnelling damage scenario.

Road vehicle engines are mostly equipped with journal bearings that don’t experience this type of damage, and the few ball/roller bearing used are carrying light parts like gears. Damage to these bearings is most likely due to mis-installation damage.

Ah, thanks. Perfect. I could see the problem but wondered if it had been encountered before. That all makes sense. This case is an aircraft/helicopter powerplant used in a road vehicle and was to be kept turning while not being used for flight to prevent brinelling.

Chris

Ah, thanks. Perfect. I could see the problem but wondered if it had been encountered before. That all makes sense. This case is an aircraft/helicopter powerplant used in a road vehicle and was to be kept turning while not being used for flight to prevent brinelling.

Chris
Each engine and bearing system is different, but many aircraft engines have a requirement that they be transported on an air ride trailer. The standard spring ride trailers produced a rough ride that had the possibility of brinelling damage.

Chris
Each engine and bearing system is different, but many aircraft engines have a requirement that they be transported on an air ride trailer. The standard spring ride trailers produced a rough ride that had the possibility of brinelling damage.
Vehicles too. Consider all the train rides military vehicles endure. :)

Chris
The F119 engine shipping adapter was specifically designed to isolate the engine from the tied down engine trailer to allow shipping on a spring ride trailer without a concern for bearing brinelling damage.

When they ship M1 tanks by rail, I don’t know if the mass of the tank along with the tank’s suspension is enough to isolate the engine. Of course, rails are pretty smooth compared to the typical potholed American highway.

Chris
The F119 engine shipping adapter was specifically designed to isolate the engine from the tied down engine trailer to allow shipping on a spring ride trailer without a concern for bearing brinelling damage.

When they ship M1 tanks by rail, I don’t know if the mass of the tank along with the tank’s suspension is enough to isolate the engine. Of course, rails are pretty smooth compared to the typical potholed American highway.
You also have to consider things (in this case) like the transmission, wheels, turret, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their very informative answers. I had no idea this was a problem. Neither did the Air Staff in 1961!

This is why I like SPF.

Chris

This case is an aircraft/helicopter powerplant used in a road vehicle and was to be kept turning while not being used for flight to prevent brinelling.

Jumping Jeep ??

cheers,
Robin.