BREAKING NEWS: Military to open combat jobs to women (CNN)

Two more Females fail to make it past the first day of Marine IOC:

"Importantly, though, if we do decide that a particular standard is so high that a woman couldn't make it, the burden is now on the service to come back and explain to the secretary, why is it that high?," said General Martin Dempsey on Jan. 24.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/integrating-women-in-marine-infantry-combat-units-is-marked-with-failure-2013-4#ixzz2Qe9sHoih

The burden is on the Marines to explain why they have realistic standards? after 12 years of infantry combat in two separate wars?

TaiidanTomcat said:

"Importantly, though, if we do decide that a particular standard is so high that a woman couldn't make it, the burden is now on the service to come back and explain to the secretary, why is it that high?," said General Martin Dempsey on Jan. 24.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/integrating-women-in-marine-infantry-combat-units-is-marked-with-failure-2013-4#ixzz2Qe9sHoih

The burden is on the Marines to explain why they have realistic standards? after 12 years of infantry combat in two separate wars?

Since when have politicians allowed military preparedness to interfere with political expediancy?

TaiidanTomcat said:

Just what we figured they will change the standard.

I worked out at a gym with the national women's volleyball team (dated one of them but that is another story ;) ) Anyway they were elite Olympics athletes and everyone of my ordinary friends were two or three times stronger and hand to hand combat would have been ugly (although I was taught never to hit a woman just saing)

TaiidanTomcat said:

Why is this a problem? The service needs to demonstrate that it does not intentionally discriminate against women from the Marines, that the standards are administered consistently, and the tasks (abilities) are required of a Marine. Aren't Fire Departments able to make employment decisions based on Physical Ability Tests because of the physical demands of fire fighting required to ensure public safety? Why are you presuming that standards will be lowered?

Triton said:
TaiidanTomcat said:

Why is this a problem? The service needs to demonstrate that it does not intentionally discriminate against women from the Marines, that the standards are administered consistently, and the tasks (abilities) are required of a Marine. Aren't Fire Departments able to make employment decisions based on Physical Ability Tests because of the physical demands of fire fighting required to ensure public safety? Why are you presuming that standards will be lowered?

I think it would be a mistake to use any civilian program (e.g. Fire/Police, etc.) and say it can be used to model anything related to the combat arms profession.

Interestingly one of the changes a Fire Depratment made for women who were not able to 'fireman's carry' the required weight was to create a new 'drag them by the ankles' carry. I remember during Congressional testimony someone saying this is just as good as the fireman's carry to which it was pointed out how an unconscious person's head would bounce down every step on the way down stairs. One Congressman said "Saved from the fire died of brain damage"

Triton said:
Why is this a problem?

Because if the pass rate stays at 0 percent it will be considered unacceptable, and then standards will be lowered in order to promote passing, in order for the rate to become "acceptable."

I see what you are trying to say, the Marines are doing equal training -- which is the right thing--

and thus women are failing-- which is politically unacceptable--

So now what?

Now the United State Marine Corps, widely considered the US's most elite service has to justify why Infantry training for war is hard? really?

I felt like I jumped through the rabbit hole when I saw that quote.

Can you explain why medical school has to be so intense, doctor?

Why is there so much math involved in bridge engineering?

why do chemistry classes have to be so hard?

Why do airline pilots have to know how to land?

explaining things that sure seem obvious given the life and death nature of things. Its even more funny when I was told that women would be able to do this without any noticeable difference and now its "why do you have to make this so tough anyway?"

Aren't Fire Departments able to make employment decisions based on Physical Ability Tests because of the physical demands of fire fighting required to ensure public safety? Why are you presuming that standards will be lowered?

it depends on the dept. and the city. My local firefighters had full equal standards, thus there are no female fire fighters. The police have separate standards and thus there are many female cops. plus the work load is different, cops don't generally have to haul heavy hose up and down flights of stairs in heavy clothes at a good clip.

In my opinion this is the last generation in which humans physically risked themselves on the battlefield. If the girls want to prove something, this is the time before they are replaced by Robby.